cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do We Need to Replace Old License Keys after NetBackup Major Version Upgrade?

rossxu
Level 4

I have just upgraded my NetBackup Appliance 5230 Version 2.7.3 (NetBackup 7.7.3) to Version 3.0 (NetBackup 8.0).

My question is if we need to download new license keys from my Veritas customer portal, and add to my system?

-- if yes, why does my system seem working fine without the new keys, and the old key still show "Permanent"? Do I need to delete the old keys after the new keys have been added?

-- if not, why the license keys on the Veritas customer portal page are associated with different versions?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

This is normal as NetBackup license keys are upwards compatible over major releases for existing licensed features (newly licensed functionality will need a new key from the License Portal). However Veritas did announce to partners a change to NetBackup license enablement in a forthcoming version which will require new keys all round if you upgrade to that version...

View solution in original post

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

The existing license key will allow you to upgrade the NetBackup but it will not enable the feature released in new version. The Veritas license policy vary depend on license type.

You can check with Veritas Support about existing license and feature.

Thanks & Regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

This is normal as NetBackup license keys are upwards compatible over major releases for existing licensed features (newly licensed functionality will need a new key from the License Portal). However Veritas did announce to partners a change to NetBackup license enablement in a forthcoming version which will require new keys all round if you upgrade to that version...

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

The existing license key will allow you to upgrade the NetBackup but it will not enable the feature released in new version. The Veritas license policy vary depend on license type.

You can check with Veritas Support about existing license and feature.

Thanks & Regards,

Thanks a lot, andrew and Tousif, for your great replies.

You answered my questions.