cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do-able? Automate : Client->MSDP->Remote MSDP->TAPE

Jim-90
Level 6

Currently got a small remote site which backed up to a MSDP media server and that data gets replicated back to HQ (via the WAN) to another MSDP for DR.  That all working nicely.  Now the requirement is to archive data to tape.    The tape archiving can only occur at HQ and it must use the HQ MSDP as the source.   That's OK if you like to do the duplication manually via the  Catalogue section of the admin GUI but you should be able to do it automagically with no human intervention.   Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There are directional buttons at the bottom of the SLP window. These control where it takes the previous copy from. In my example you'll see i've indented the duplications.

Backup > STU 1

Duplicate > STU 2

Duplicate > STU 3

Duplicate > STU 4

This means, backup to STU1, duplicate to STU2 (using STU1 as source), then duplicate to STU3 (using STU2 as source), then duplicate to STU4 (using STU3 as source).

Backup > STU 1

Duplicate > STU 2

Duplicate > STU 3

Duplicate > STU 4

This means, backup to STU1, duplicate to STU2 (using STU1 as source), then duplicate to STU3 (using STU2 as source), then duplicate to STU4 (using STU2 as source and NOT STU3).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst

Just add the duplication destination for tape your existing SLP

Backup > MSDP (Remote)

Duplicate > MSDP HQ

Duplicate > MSDP DR

Duplicate > MSDP HQ Tape

Or am i missing something?

Jim-90
Level 6

The  current SLP is

Backup > MSDP 10 days retention (Remote)

Duplicate > MSDP 1 month  (HQ) 

I need add : Duplication of HQ-MSDP data to  HQ tape (retention > 1 month).

The source for tape has to be the HQ-MSDP becasue we don't want to send all the data across the WAN link.

I looked at "Vault" duplication  the rules selection selection in NBU 7.6.0.3 are not versatile enough to do this type of duplication and my understanding is the souce for all SLPs is always the primary copy (the remote copy in this case).   

Marianne
Level 6
Yes. In SLP config you can select HQ MSDP as source.

RiaanBadenhorst

There are directional buttons at the bottom of the SLP window. These control where it takes the previous copy from. In my example you'll see i've indented the duplications.

Backup > STU 1

Duplicate > STU 2

Duplicate > STU 3

Duplicate > STU 4

This means, backup to STU1, duplicate to STU2 (using STU1 as source), then duplicate to STU3 (using STU2 as source), then duplicate to STU4 (using STU3 as source).

Backup > STU 1

Duplicate > STU 2

Duplicate > STU 3

Duplicate > STU 4

This means, backup to STU1, duplicate to STU2 (using STU1 as source), then duplicate to STU3 (using STU2 as source), then duplicate to STU4 (using STU2 as source and NOT STU3).

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Are the HQ MDSP and the remote MSDP managed by the same Master Server? If so then Riaan's answer is correct. If not then it would be:

Backup > Remote-MSDP

Replicate > HQ-MSDP

At HQ you would have an import SLP

Import > HQ-MSDP

Duplicate > HQ-TAPE

Jim-90
Level 6

Thanks everybody ...I'll give the SLP method a go .... don't expect results for a couple days

Jim-90
Level 6

I gave it go and the results were not as expected.   Every time I ran the job the final duplication to tape some of the drives would be ignored. 

Because the application was completely shutdown for its final archive backup I could rerun the archive backup many times.  It took about four attempts before I managed to copy all the data to tape.  

It was weird every time it ignored drive in the final duplication step nothing was generated in the Activity Monitor.   I waited 24 each time in case the duplication job was queued.