cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do full and incremental schedules have to be in the same policy?

jasw61
Level 3
Partner Accredited

We have a customer who has set up different policies for clients to backup.  One policy has a full schedule and the other policy has a differential schedule.  I found mention in NBU 7.0 that these schedules need to be within the same policy, but I cannot find this statement in the NBU 7.6 documentation.  Is this the case for NBU 7.6?

NBU 7.6.0.1 -- Win Server 2008 R2

Regards,

James

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes. Incremental and Full schedules need to be in the same policy. 

This has been the case for as long as I've known NBU (15 years) and is unfortunately not clearly documented in Admin Guides.

View solution in original post

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Look at it this way... if you've never taken a full backup under a particular policy, what image would that policy use to determine the "incremental" part of its incremental backup?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes. Incremental and Full schedules need to be in the same policy. 

This has been the case for as long as I've known NBU (15 years) and is unfortunately not clearly documented in Admin Guides.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Look at it this way... if you've never taken a full backup under a particular policy, what image would that policy use to determine the "incremental" part of its incremental backup?

jasw61
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks, everyone!

Marianne, you hit the nail on the head about not being clearly documented!

SymTerry and CRZ, I knew that the first incremental would act as a full, but totally skimmed right by the fact that they would all act as fulls.

Thanks again!

James

jim_dalton
Level 6

To answer Chris Z theory: the answer is: any full backup  of the client, so long as it is a full backup regardless of what policy it was done under.

It requires added logic to netb, but certainly not too far out of reach.

But to just work correctly right now, yes the policy being a constant is key.

Jim