cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does DDBoost for OpenStorage require Advanced Disk license?

JeanB
Level 4

It appears (in others posts) that using Data Domain appliances with Netbackup requires the NB Advanced Disk licence, but when reading through the EMC docs on DD Boost for OST administartion, there's no mention of it.  The only requirement is that the OST plugin be installed on the NB server, without any additional licencing.  Am I mistaken or am I missing something obvious?  I'm preparing to use our DD appliance which for now only uses simple NFS mounts on our media servers.   Certainly this is not making use of DD to half of its potential, but for now I'm a little lost as to what the next step should be to move this DD into full production?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Different NBU versions call the same license different names... So, another reason why EMC does not cover or get involved withNBU licensing.

NBU 7.5 Enterprise Disk license includes:
OpenStorage
Virtual Tape
Advanced Disk

NBU 7.5 Data Protection Optimization license includes:
OpenStorage
Virtual Tape
Advanced Disk
Intelligent Deduplication
Accelerator

Enterprise Disk Option (EDO) is no longer available in NBU 7.6.  Purchase Data Protection Optimization Option (DPOO) instead.

That is why I suggested that you discuss licensing needs with your local Symantec reseller.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne

EMC is not at all concerned with NetBackup licensing - that part is between Symantec and the end user.
So, no wonder EMC documentation does not include Symantec licensing requirements.

To enable OST (creation of Storage Server and disk pool(s)), you need Enterprise Disk or NetBackup Data Protection Optimization Option license to activate OpenStorage (OST).
Capacity based license in NBU 7.6 automatically includes all features and options.

You can find licensing requirements in this doc: NetBackup OpenStorage Solutions Guide for Disk 

Best to discuss your licensing needs with your Symantec Partner.

JeanB
Level 4

So Advanced Disk is un-related to OST, or does Entreprise Disk include Advanced Disk?

We are hopefully moving to capaicity based licensing, and yes it will inlcude all options, but of course I still need to know which options I need!

Marianne

Different NBU versions call the same license different names... So, another reason why EMC does not cover or get involved withNBU licensing.

NBU 7.5 Enterprise Disk license includes:
OpenStorage
Virtual Tape
Advanced Disk

NBU 7.5 Data Protection Optimization license includes:
OpenStorage
Virtual Tape
Advanced Disk
Intelligent Deduplication
Accelerator

Enterprise Disk Option (EDO) is no longer available in NBU 7.6.  Purchase Data Protection Optimization Option (DPOO) instead.

That is why I suggested that you discuss licensing needs with your local Symantec reseller.