cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does MSEO make use of hardware encryption?

hxy
Level 2

I could not find any info on this - Does MSEO take advantage of hardware encryption acceleration?

e.g. Hardware encryption cards, the new encryption features in the Xeon 5600 and SPARC T3 CPU's, etc

thanks

HXY

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

MSEO uses a virtual tape driver (software) that sits on top off the real tape driver. I don't believe it will be able to utilize any hardware accelleration related to encryption.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The only hardware based encryption I have heard for netbackup is the LTO4/LTO5 encryption feature (T10 standard).

Tape drive based encryption is free go charge as Netbackup as has built-in KMS since 6.5.2, but I think MSEO require a additional license.

There are also some encryption appliances you put between the server and tape drive, that does encryption on the fly. But I think they have outplayed the presence in the marked compared to LTO4/5 based encryption.

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you're looking for hardware-based encryption you probably need to look for Sun T10000B or LTO 4 or 5 drives with Encryption enabled. Usually hardware-based solutions like those from Quantum or Storage Tek (Sun, oh, sorry Oracle) have their own KMS appliances with key management and replication across different sites, but as guys have mentioned above there is a poor-man solution in NetBackup which does KMS for 20 pools. Don't forget to backup NBU's KMS DB if you would use it, it is not included in Catalog backup (don't know why).