cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does NBU 7.6 allow disk-to-tape archiving from a disk-to-disk backup target?

quantum-it
Level 4

I would like to implement NBU 7.6 by having it first perform a disk-to-disk backup, from my backup targets to a single backup NAS RAID array, so I can keep a local 'nearline copy of my data in house.   What I would also like to be able to do is to perform a disk-to-tape secondary backup, from the NAS array to an LTO tape drive connected to my NBU server, which would be for offsite backup media backup sets.   My thoughts is that I only want to have to stress by backup targets once during the process (disk-to-disk) and then perform the secondary pass from the NAS array to tape, offloading the resources for getting the data onto the LTO tapes, away from my production target hosts.

a) Does this make sense as a process?

b) Would I be able to do this with NBU 7.6?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello

Yes this is a great idea for your environment. You will keep the load off your production servers.

What your looking for is duplication to tape. You can do this with SLP's (refer to HOWTO73205) or Vault (DOC5193

Vault is an extension to NetBackup that automates selection and duplication of backup images and ejection of media for transfer to and from a separate, off-site storage facility. It would be best for what your doing.

Review this connect post for a conversation on the differences: SLP's vs vault management

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello

Yes this is a great idea for your environment. You will keep the load off your production servers.

What your looking for is duplication to tape. You can do this with SLP's (refer to HOWTO73205) or Vault (DOC5193

Vault is an extension to NetBackup that automates selection and duplication of backup images and ejection of media for transfer to and from a separate, off-site storage facility. It would be best for what your doing.

Review this connect post for a conversation on the differences: SLP's vs vault management