cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does NetBackup have a feature that can backup a “deduped” volume in Optimized format.

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hello,

Does NetBackup have a feature that can backup a “deduped” volume in Optimized format.

Optimized means that the data has been deduped.

Start with 15 GB of data.

1.       Optimize or Dedupe the data; Data is now 10 GB.
  2.       Backup the data, using Netbackup with no special settings; restored data is back to the 15 GB measure. (production data is unaffected.)

Scenario:If this can be backed up in optimized fashion, that is what we would like to do and we need to test a backup and restore. we do not want Netbackup to dedupe production data or necessarily dedupe the actual backups.

Thanks in advance,

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

if you Do not use the Dedup feature in Netbackup or in traget Device(like Data domain), it can only take the data of 15GB as backup and occupy the 15GB storage space in Netbackup storage(tape or disk)

though its Dedup data in source side.. not only netbackup any appliction or manual copy from the source requierd to Undedup the data and send it as 15 GB.

so unless you use the dedup feature in netbackup(client side /MSDP) or target side dedup, you will end up with taking the non dedup data size as backup.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am wondering if your query is about W2012 NTFS data deduplication feature ?

If so, please see the  File System Compatibility table in the OS SCL:   https://symwisedownload.symantec.com/resources/sites/SYMWISE/content/live/SOLUTIONS/76000/TECH76648/...

Extract:

Regarding the Microsoft Windows 2012 NTFS data deduplication feature: 
- NTFS deduplication volumes may be backed up to BasicDisk storage units only.
- In NetBackup 7.5.0.6, the files on an NTFS deduplication volume will be backed up in full and not in optimized form.
- In NetBackup 7.6 and later, Optimized Backup occurs for NTFS deduplication volumes when possible. Per Microsoft design, any restore from Optimized Backup is non-optimized. This means, after restore, files are in non-optimized form until the next optimization is run by the OS schedule. Be sure adequate space is available for restore.
- By design, TIR is not supported on NTFS deduplication volumes.
- FlashBackup is not supported with NTFS deduplication volumes.

StefanosM
Level 6

So If I understand it correctly, you have a customer with 2012 NTFS data deduplication feature.

If you use netbackup 7.6 and up, the backup will be "optimized" and not at "full size".

Re-Read Marianne's post for limitations.

Marianne
Level 6

Have you had a look at the Compatibility guide yet?

If you have BasicDisk as per the SCL, next step is to select 'Enable optimized backup of Windows deduplicated volumes' in the policy Attributes.

See p. 708 of NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I  

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

if you Do not use the Dedup feature in Netbackup or in traget Device(like Data domain), it can only take the data of 15GB as backup and occupy the 15GB storage space in Netbackup storage(tape or disk)

though its Dedup data in source side.. not only netbackup any appliction or manual copy from the source requierd to Undedup the data and send it as 15 GB.

so unless you use the dedup feature in netbackup(client side /MSDP) or target side dedup, you will end up with taking the non dedup data size as backup.

Marianne
Level 6

I am wondering if your query is about W2012 NTFS data deduplication feature ?

If so, please see the  File System Compatibility table in the OS SCL:   https://symwisedownload.symantec.com/resources/sites/SYMWISE/content/live/SOLUTIONS/76000/TECH76648/...

Extract:

Regarding the Microsoft Windows 2012 NTFS data deduplication feature: 
- NTFS deduplication volumes may be backed up to BasicDisk storage units only.
- In NetBackup 7.5.0.6, the files on an NTFS deduplication volume will be backed up in full and not in optimized form.
- In NetBackup 7.6 and later, Optimized Backup occurs for NTFS deduplication volumes when possible. Per Microsoft design, any restore from Optimized Backup is non-optimized. This means, after restore, files are in non-optimized form until the next optimization is run by the OS schedule. Be sure adequate space is available for restore.
- By design, TIR is not supported on NTFS deduplication volumes.
- FlashBackup is not supported with NTFS deduplication volumes.

StefanosM
Level 6

You are not clear enough about the dedup volume.

if your question is about the windows 2012 deduplication future, then yes. The  netbackup 7.6 can perform "optimized" backup of this volume.

Note that the restore can not redirected to a simple file system but only to a 2012 deduplication volume.

Hope that this answers to your question.

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi Nagalla, Marianne and Stefanos for your response.

Just to give you some background a client poised that question to us.

They tested this with Windows Server Backup. That service has a setting to back it up in an “optimized” or deduped state.  They are not interested in using Windows Server Backup or circumventing the enterprise backup service.

If this can be backed up in optimized fashion, that is what they  would like to do and  they will test a backup and restore. If it is not possible, then they accept that  production data can be deduped, but  backups will be at full size.

Also, they still want to use Windows Server to perform the dedupe operation, they do not want Netbackup to dedupe production data or necessarily dedupe the actual backups. They are trying to find the best solution.

The restore that we did for them (the clients) was from a Windows 2012 R2 server being backed up for them using the Netbackup client 7.6.0.3 our Master Server (linux) is running 7.6.0.3.

Again I think you all for your responses.

StefanosM
Level 6

So If I understand it correctly, you have a customer with 2012 NTFS data deduplication feature.

If you use netbackup 7.6 and up, the backup will be "optimized" and not at "full size".

Re-Read Marianne's post for limitations.

Marianne
Level 6

Have you had a look at the Compatibility guide yet?

If you have BasicDisk as per the SCL, next step is to select 'Enable optimized backup of Windows deduplicated volumes' in the policy Attributes.

See p. 708 of NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I  

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi Marianne,

Yes, and I sent info from the guide to the client. The last I heard . They informed me that they may be leaning to let NetBackup back up these volumes in “un” optimized form. That way they  can restore where we want to and to some extent we mitigate the risks of the production data existing in deduped form.

Thanks again for all your help!