cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does open file concept applicable for NDMP?

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

It wld be great if any ref link for it..

I think/assume:

There is no Open file concept in the NDMP filer backups,
In NDMP,Netbackup do backup all the files available in the Volumes irrespective of  file is open or not, but there is a possibility of  loosing data if the file is not saved at time time of backups.

open file concept is only for the servers that are accessible to the share, not for the Netapp it self, and NDMP backup does happen in the Netapp level so there is no concept of Open file.

Correct me if am wrong..

Thank u in advance
--

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think what sri need to confirm is not a case of Snapshot Client backup but case of regular NDMP backup.

I'm not sure it is appricable to other vendor, but I know in case of NetApp, volume snapshot is taken at the beggining of NDMP backup session and data is actually read from this snapshot. For other NAS products, please check ndmpagent log for output of NDMP operation at NDMP host, or ask your NAS vendor.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Think you are right:

http://adsm.org/forum/showthread.php?27621-NDMP-how-does-it-handle-open-files

smurphy
Level 4
Employee Certified

NetBackup can take point-in-time data snapshots on an NDMP (NAS) host without interrupting client access to data, using the NDMP V4 snapshot extension. The snapshot is stored on the same device that contains the NDMP client data. From the snapshot, you can restore individual files or roll back a file system or volume by means of Snapshot Client Instant Recovery.

A NetBackup Snapshot Client license is required, in addition to the NetBackup for NDMP license. This Snapshot Client feature uses the NAS_Snapshot method and the NDMP method.

For more information about the Snapshot Client, refer to NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator’s Guide.
For more information about the NDMP snapshot method, refer to the NetBackup Replication Director Solutions Guide.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think what sri need to confirm is not a case of Snapshot Client backup but case of regular NDMP backup.

I'm not sure it is appricable to other vendor, but I know in case of NetApp, volume snapshot is taken at the beggining of NDMP backup session and data is actually read from this snapshot. For other NAS products, please check ndmpagent log for output of NDMP operation at NDMP host, or ask your NAS vendor.

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

It is about regular NDMP backup.Thanks for the clarification..

smurphy
Level 4
Employee Certified

I understand this is regular NDMP backup. The best we can do with the NetApp snapshot and EMC's SnapSure is get a point in time snapshot of the file system.  The Snapshot Client is used more frequently on other filer brands although EMC has several options, including TimeFinder.

Nine-tenths of the battle is getting the snapshot created - that the operating system on the filer is able to quiesce the open files sufficiently to do so.