cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the BMR 7th Sept 2014 issue affect Windows client BMR restores from Linux master?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi,

When I read this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH224758

...it's not 100% clear to me whether a Windows client of a Linux master would be affected...

...the "Environment" section of the TN says:

• Note: This issue occurs for Prepare-To-Restore triggered on Non-Windows Clients from Non-Windows Master servers only. This includes NetBackup Appliances in the role of master server.

...which implies that... Windows clients are not impacted...

...whereas the header "Issue" statement says:

• BMR (Bare Metal Restore) on all NetBackup master servers other than Windows will not be able to perform the Prepare-To-Restore operation for BMR client backups taken after 7 September 2014 10:20:07 UTC. Because the Prepare-To-Restore operation does not work, BMR Restores of clients from NetBackup master servers running non-Windows platforms cannot be performed.

...which implies that... Windows clients are impacted.

Can anyone confirm:

1) Whether an RHEL master server running NetBackup v7.6.0.1 will be able to BMR restore a Windows Client running NetBackup v7.6.0.1 ?

2) Whether an RHEL master server running NetBackup v7.6.0.4 will be able to BMR restore a Windows Client running NetBackup v7.6.0.1 ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Engineering said: Windows clients are always OK.

We actually updated this doc at ENG request a few months after it was initially published to change the text to what you have in the first bullet, but we didn't also edit the text in what you have in the second bullet, so now it does appear to conflict with the first note...

So your answers are:

1. Yes
2. Yes

And we should probably edit that doc for clarity.

But really, you should just have everything at 7.6.0.4*, which makes all these questions moot AND fixes a whole heap of other issues.

*Or above.  ;)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you have a non-windows master server you will need to patch as I read the tech note. It's the master server affected not the client.

So the answers are 

1: no

2: yes

sdo

Thanks Nicolai.

Looking back - I didn't phrase my 'rules in' / 'rules out' words very well...

I've updated my text to say '...which implies that...'.

Apologies - but could I get you re-read my post again - and see what you think, again.

And, thank you again.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Engineering said: Windows clients are always OK.

We actually updated this doc at ENG request a few months after it was initially published to change the text to what you have in the first bullet, but we didn't also edit the text in what you have in the second bullet, so now it does appear to conflict with the first note...

So your answers are:

1. Yes
2. Yes

And we should probably edit that doc for clarity.

But really, you should just have everything at 7.6.0.4*, which makes all these questions moot AND fixes a whole heap of other issues.

*Or above.  ;)

sdo

Cheers Chris.  :)

Nicolai - real sorry, but I think I have to give points to Chris - apologies, as I know I didn't phrase my question very well initially.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No Problem - Chris had the facts. I was  wrong in reading the TN anyway (maybe due to the tech note not being very clear about this :) )