cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the NetBackup 7.5 client support CentOS 7?

Stream-Hunt
Level 2

Hey all!

I know this is a question about an older version of NetBackup, but unfortunately the documentation is rather unhelpful - all of it points me to Symantec knowledge base articles that, obviously, no longer link to anything.

We aren't planning on sticking to NetBackup 7.5 for much longer, but in the meantime, it is our current production backup system (works well!). Until we get our new one spun up, is it possible to run the NetBackup 7.5 client on CentOS 7?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @Stream-Hunt 

Did you check the SCL before asking? If you had you would have seen that support for Centos 7 only became available from NetBackup 7.6.1.1.

There is also the minor fact that NetBackup 7.5 is well out of support anyway - so if you can make it work I'd say go for it (you will not get any offical help if things go wrong).

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @Stream-Hunt 

Did you check the SCL before asking? If you had you would have seen that support for Centos 7 only became available from NetBackup 7.6.1.1.

There is also the minor fact that NetBackup 7.5 is well out of support anyway - so if you can make it work I'd say go for it (you will not get any offical help if things go wrong).

David

I could not find anything that showed that information, despite looking for a good while! I guess I just didn't know where to look. :p

But that is good information nonetheless, thanks for the help!

Hi @Stream-Hunt

The way to (hopefully) find the information is via the Software Compatibilty List (SCL) for the particular NetBackup version you are enquiring about. The starting place is normally here where all NetBackup compatibility lists can be found (https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100040093). So in your case, select the SCL for NetBackup 7.7 (as anything below 7.7 has reached EOL it is nolonger shown). Then drill down into the operating system section relevant - here's the direct link to Centos https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/OSVC/100046000/100046611/en_US/nbu_77_scl.html?_... - on the right side of the table it gives the minimum NBU version that supports the OS (and also in the table may be notes that can be relvant).

Hope this helps. I suspect if you try to install NetBackup 7.5 on Centos 7 it will work (although the installer may throw a wobbly about the Centos version).

Cheers
David