cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the VMware backup host need to be a physical server or can it be a VM?

fordev
Level 3
Certified

Hi,

We have recently upgraded to Netbackup 7.1.  I would like to use the Netbackup for VMware features to back up the VM environment. Our master and media servers are running on Solaris 10. I am aware that part of the requirements are to have a backup host. As our media servers are running solaris using any of these servers is out so you need Windows 2003/2008 server (to utilise VSS) with the Netbackup Client installed. Does this need to be a physical server? or can a W2008 VM be created as the backup host? and just install the client software. We have purchased the necessary Enterprise Client licences for the ESX servers. If we can aviod any investment in a physical server for the backup host then this would be the preferred option.

I have consulted the "Symantec NetBackup ™ for VMware Administrator's Guide Release 7.1" and I have seen the diagram in section 1 (Figure 1-1) but not sure is this a physical model. 

You help would be aprreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Victor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You can use a VM with the NetBackup Client software installed on it (hotadd backup method). Only downside here is that you'll backup the VMs via the backup host across the LAN to a Media (Solaris) Server. The performance wont be great. If you're looking for a quicker solution, install a physical backup host and give it access to the LUNS containing the VMFS datastores.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You can use a VM with the NetBackup Client software installed on it (hotadd backup method). Only downside here is that you'll backup the VMs via the backup host across the LAN to a Media (Solaris) Server. The performance wont be great. If you're looking for a quicker solution, install a physical backup host and give it access to the LUNS containing the VMFS datastores.

fordev
Level 3
Certified

Thanks Riaan for getting back with a quick response. That answers what I need but Just one more more related question. If I do backup over the SAN do I need an additional Licence for the backup host?

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Yes you'll need a Enterprise Server License. In addition, please see below from the licensing guide.

Virtual Machine Backup & Recovery: NetBackup for VMware
a NetBackup Windows client (a.k.a. backup host) is a minimum requirement for using NetBackup for VMware, regardless of which vStorage or VCB technology is used.
An Enterprise Client license (based on tier of VMware host) is required for each VMware host (aka ESX server). The NetBackup Windows client (backup host) can be deployed as a VM on the VMware ESX server, eliminating the off- host backup advantages. This can be done when the deployment of a physical backup server is not possible. If the backup host VM is also a NetBackup Server, then an Enterprise Server license is still required.

In a VMware cluster, any/only VMware hosts (cluster nodes) that contain virtual machines protected by NetBackup requi re an Enterprise Client license. Also, licensing must account for any migration of VMs between nodes. In other words, if a set of cluster nodes are used to load-balance VMs, all nodes that participate must be licensed. To protect database applications within a VM, it is recommended to deploy the NetBackup database agent in the VM. Only one Application and Database Pack is required for each host. No more than 1 Application and Database Pack license is required per host.

fordev
Level 3
Certified

SAN Client License is needed.

Thanks Victor

fordev
Level 3
Certified

We a two server ESX Cluster in two different sites so 4 Enterprise Client Licences were purchased. Thanks again Riaan.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

If using a physical backup host, does it have to be Windows, or can we use, say, an existing Solaris media server as the backup host to back up the VM's in an ESX host?  (Our VM's we are going to back up here will be Solaris, a first for us, and we aren't expecting to be able to restore individual files, just the full VMDK.)