cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubts Regarding Tape Library .. Please clarify

Robert_R_A
Level 3

Hi All,

I am new to use Tape Library for Symantec Net Backup application. Can you please clarify my doubts regarding tape library..!

1. In Tape library, we got nearly 10 drives and the control is shown “Mixed” and “Active”? What’s exact reason for this? And also what should be there in that place for drives to be active and running?
  2. And on Device Monitor, while selecting each drives, it shows various paths. Where are they configured? And how the paths number differs for all drives? How’s that?
  3. Also the control for all paths varies. It’s showing “TLD”, “ACTIVE”, “DOWN”, “SCAN-TLD”? Can you please let me know the meaning of all these norms??
  4. Finally where and how can I solve the “MISSING PATH” error shown on drive paths??

Thank You Guys..! :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

So you sound like you have several Media servers sharing some or all of your configured 10 tape drives.

You need to clarify this. But it is more than likely that all your media servers that write to the 10 tape drives are sharing these drives amongst each other.

Each Media Server sharing the tape drive device will be listed when you select each drive.

If you are new to netbackup then can offer this good advice and specific guide from the docs set to be read-

discusses shared storage.

Enterprise Support - Symantec Corp. - Symantec NetBackup 7.1 Shared Storage Guide

MISSING PATH for me normally means that the device file/path has changed since the last device configuration and might be worth running the Storage Device Configuration Wizard in the Console GUI to fix.

SCAN-TLD means this is the master control device host for that specific tape drive. Something has to look after locking and sharing of the drive amongst the hosts its configured for when a backup is requested so there is no race condition for the same drive.

ACTIVE means there is a tape drive operation in progress. You want to switch to Activity Monitor and see in the detail of any job if its using that device.

DOWN means the drive is could be down on some or all shared device hosts.

MIXED means some shared device hosts have it in TLD some have it DOWN or in another state.

IDEALLY you want to see 1 x SCAN-TLD and the rest in TLD mode

Good luck and learning.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

So you sound like you have several Media servers sharing some or all of your configured 10 tape drives.

You need to clarify this. But it is more than likely that all your media servers that write to the 10 tape drives are sharing these drives amongst each other.

Each Media Server sharing the tape drive device will be listed when you select each drive.

If you are new to netbackup then can offer this good advice and specific guide from the docs set to be read-

discusses shared storage.

Enterprise Support - Symantec Corp. - Symantec NetBackup 7.1 Shared Storage Guide

MISSING PATH for me normally means that the device file/path has changed since the last device configuration and might be worth running the Storage Device Configuration Wizard in the Console GUI to fix.

SCAN-TLD means this is the master control device host for that specific tape drive. Something has to look after locking and sharing of the drive amongst the hosts its configured for when a backup is requested so there is no race condition for the same drive.

ACTIVE means there is a tape drive operation in progress. You want to switch to Activity Monitor and see in the detail of any job if its using that device.

DOWN means the drive is could be down on some or all shared device hosts.

MIXED means some shared device hosts have it in TLD some have it DOWN or in another state.

IDEALLY you want to see 1 x SCAN-TLD and the rest in TLD mode

Good luck and learning.

Robert_R_A
Level 3
Hi Stuart, Thanks a lot for your reply..! With this knowledge let me run the backups fine and try my best in resolving problems in it..! :) Regards Rob :)