Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubts about vmware with Exchange protection

matias_martini
Level 3
Partner

Hi everybody!

I've the following doubt, I want to backup a vm (vmware) with Exchange, but I want to use a tape as storage unit.

My question is, Can I do a vmware backup with Exchange protection? I know that GRT is only available on disk storage units, but I don't want GRT.

Or should I use MS-Exchange policy to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

if you wanna restore whole VM, files, and Exchange databases, you can use tapes.

In addition to this, if you wanna restore also individual emails, you must use disk based storage unit.

regards

Michal

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

if you wanna restore whole VM, files, and Exchange databases, you can use tapes.

In addition to this, if you wanna restore also individual emails, you must use disk based storage unit.

regards

Michal

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

Good answer.

When you restore an Exchange database, you'll see either 2 or 3 restore jobs, started in the following order:

1. The Exchange restore. This job finishes last.

2. VMware file restore of the Exchange metadata files. This does not run if the metadata files are already on the client, which is usually true if you are restoring in place from the most recent VMware backup.

3. VMware file restore of the Exchange data files (.edb, .chk, .log).

Logs for troubleshooting: bprd, bpdbm on master server, bpbrm on media server, bppfi, tar, and bpbkar on Exchange client.  (Bppfi acts as the media manager for the Exchange restore job. It orchestrates the restore, so start with its log. Bpbkar is used to feed the data files to tar.)