cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downside of Policy type Standard rather than MS-Windows

sclind
   VIP   

I have some windows servers that I just can't get a clean backup using policy type MS-Windows.  I always end up with some sort of snapshot error - usually 156.  And I can spend hours per week working on troubleshooting them.

If I change to policy type Standard I can get a clean backup.  But what do I lose if I do this?

Most of the time we're not worried about getting open files backed up.  Many of these servers are SQL servers in which there is a backup copy of the database made once a day (an export?) - and as long we get a copy of that we're happy.

3 REPLIES 3

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If you re using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as your file selection, then it will probably be trying to snapshot your shadow copy components. If you set to Standard I am not 100% sure if it will still try and backup SCC.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

With MS-Windows policy, NBU will automatically enable WOFB. You can disable WOFB on the master server with Master -> Client Attributes.
Add Client name if it does not exist in this list, select Client name, then select WOFB tab and de-select Open File backup.

Please remember to add SQL data folder or wildcards (e.g. *.mdf, *.ldf) to Client's Host Properties -> Exclude List. SQL databases should never be backed up as part of Windows filesystem backup. 

Best to have policy type as MS-Windows to ensure that all Windows attributes (permissions and shares) are backed up along with the data.
Disabling WOFB as per above instructions should avoid status 156.

sclind
   VIP   

Hi Marianne -  the WOFB box is unchecked for this client.  But I continue to see that this is what NB generates for an MS-Windows policy:

SET SNAP_ID=<hostname>_1372340754
BACKUP e:\ USING \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy170\ OPTIONS:ALT_PATH_PREFIX=C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\temp\_vrts_frzn_img_7020,FITYPE=MIRROR,MNTPOINT=e:\,FSTYPE=NTFS

Then I get the status 156.

I have a copy of the policy that specifies policy type Standard.  It just generates this for the file list:

e:\

(ie, No snapshot attempted).

I have done a bplist compare of an MS-Windows backup vs a Standard backup and they seem to be identical. 

I'd rather have a successful Standard backup rather than a MS-Windows that always fails.  But you indicate that I may not get permissions and shares saved OK?