cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive cleaning issue

NathanNieman
Level 6

Setup is a IBM3310 tape lib. and a ProtecTier VTL.

Master/Media is a Windows server 2008 R2

Running Netbackup 7.5.0.6

All backups first go to the VTL, then are duplicated to the IBM tape lib.

I can't clean drives though Netbackup it always fails with a error 96.

So i clean the drives though the protecTier.  But I have two drives that always say they need cleaning.120px_Capture.JPG

Now I just cleaned this on the ProtecTier have reset the drive to bring them back up but after 1 tape load the drive goes down again wanting to be cleaned.

What do I need to do to get Netbackup to see the drive was cleaned.  If I look on the ProtecTier side everything looks fine.  Tape is ejected but on the netbackup the drive shows down.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you configured cleaning tapes in NBU?

If cleaning tapes are in the robot's 'maintenance' slots, then NBU cannot see or use them to clean tape drives.

The fact that you were able to use robot utilities to clean tape drives says to me that cleaning tapes are probably in maintenance slots and nothing in 'normal' tape slots.

To tell NBU that drive has been cleaned, use this command: 

tpclean -M <drive_name>

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You are trying to clean a drive on a VTL? There are no drive heads on a VTL to clean! ?

StefanosM
Level 6

Do you want to clean a virtual drive of a physical drive?  There is no need to clean a virtual drive (ProtecTier).

If your virtual drives are going down, then the problem is not cleaning.

On the other hand, if you need to clean a physical drive (IBM3310) threw netbackup, then you have to configure a cleaning tape inside netbackup. The error 96 shows that there is no cleaning tape configured. Or at least it is expired.

NathanNieman
Level 6

Sorry I said that all wrong.

I am cleaning the tape drives on the IBMts3310, not the VTL.

I can clean them on the ts3310 but netbackup dosn't seem to see they have been cleaned.

Marianne

Have you configured cleaning tapes in NBU?

If cleaning tapes are in the robot's 'maintenance' slots, then NBU cannot see or use them to clean tape drives.

The fact that you were able to use robot utilities to clean tape drives says to me that cleaning tapes are probably in maintenance slots and nothing in 'normal' tape slots.

To tell NBU that drive has been cleaned, use this command: 

tpclean -M <drive_name>

NathanNieman
Level 6

Yes the cleaning tapes are in the Maintenance slot.

Thank you I will run this command.

Will_Restore
Level 6

download Virtual Cleaning software from iTunes, LOL

StefanosM
Level 6

I suspect that you do not have a cleaning tape configured in netbackup.

post the output of  the command

vmquery  -b  -p 0

IBM libraries use to hide the cleaning media from the software and clean the drives themselves. thats what I understand from you saying "maintenance slot."
if this is the case, you should unconfigure the cleaning function of the library and configure the cleaning tape to netbackup.

The output of the command will tell us.

Will_Restore
Level 6

I prefer to let the library handle the cleaning (needs-based rather than frequency-based). 

In which case, Marianne's suggestion above is the way to go - just tell NetBackup the drive cleaning has already been done & clear the 'needs cleaning' flag with tpclean -M

StefanosM
Level 6

if you follow this path and let the library do the cleaning, as Will sead, create the flowing file to the master and aill media servers:

UNIX/LINUX   /usr/openv/volmgr/database/NO_TAPEALERT
Windows: <install_path>\veritas\volmgr\database\NO_TAPEALERT

so netbackup will not flag the drives as need cleaning.

I, personally, prefer to let netbackup clean the drives and not the library. Especially if the installation has many libraries.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

... I hate to show off, but my VTL actually has cleaning tapes ....

media ID:              CLN101
media type:            1/2" cleaning tape 2 (15)
barcode:               CLN101L5
media description:     ---
volume pool:           None (0)
robot type:            TLD - Tape Library DLT (8)
robot number:          0
robot slot:            22

... Mark Harvey obviously has a sense of humor ....  (mhvtl written by Mark, one of the Australian BL Engineers).