cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive is listed in Device Manager and not by Netbackup

gopi_enovate
Level 4

Hi,
       Three media servers share 5 tape drives from a tape library.
Operating System from three servers are listing out all 5 tape drives.

However, only one media server is showing all the 5 drives in NBU. Either tpautoconf -t or scan -tape.
Other media servers are showing only 4 tape drives.

HBA manager on both these servers show all 5 tape drives, however IBM ITDT tool doesn't.
All ghost devices are cleared as well.

Is there a problem at SCSI layer? Will scsi inquiry suggest something?

What could possibly be the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

scan as you will know is just sending scsi commands, no 'Netbackup' involved at all (in fact it even works with NBU stopped, to prove my point).

As one media server is showing all 5 drives and the others x4 I would first check to see which drive the other media servers are missing (check serial numbers), is it the same drive missing from all of them ?

Given one sees all of them however, you could question how it could be a drive issue - well, perhaps it's a combination of the drive firmware version and the HBAs - we've seen a recent issue on here where a simlar issue was caused by drive firmware, and I've seen issues in the past where it has been caused bu bothe faulty HBAs and firmware/ driver issues on HBAs so until someone proves otherwise, the possiblity of some combination of the HBA and drive causing the issue is a possibility.

So, first thing to do, is check that the drive frimware is the same on all of the them, and even if so, I'd upgrade to the highest available.  then check if the HBA are the same make/ model on the media servers, and upgrade the firmware there as well.

That may not fix, but will eliminate these things as a possibility.

Question is of course, did this ever work ?

Also, are the drives going through the same switches ?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

scan as you will know is just sending scsi commands, no 'Netbackup' involved at all (in fact it even works with NBU stopped, to prove my point).

As one media server is showing all 5 drives and the others x4 I would first check to see which drive the other media servers are missing (check serial numbers), is it the same drive missing from all of them ?

Given one sees all of them however, you could question how it could be a drive issue - well, perhaps it's a combination of the drive firmware version and the HBAs - we've seen a recent issue on here where a simlar issue was caused by drive firmware, and I've seen issues in the past where it has been caused bu bothe faulty HBAs and firmware/ driver issues on HBAs so until someone proves otherwise, the possiblity of some combination of the HBA and drive causing the issue is a possibility.

So, first thing to do, is check that the drive frimware is the same on all of the them, and even if so, I'd upgrade to the highest available.  then check if the HBA are the same make/ model on the media servers, and upgrade the firmware there as well.

That may not fix, but will eliminate these things as a possibility.

Question is of course, did this ever work ?

Also, are the drives going through the same switches ?

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

some times the HBA cache is responsible. Try to shutdown and restart one server. Not restart, shutdown.