cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive related issue

sanjaynaidu
Level 3

Can anyone please resolve my querry.

We got 30 drive up events on one of the drive in ABC media server.

I have checked the drive status from Netbackup end

drive is UP and verified at OS level by tpautoconf -t.

and checked the rmt it there in both ends.

i have verified the logs var/adm/messages

its showing STATUS_LIBRARY_FAILURE

Robotic mount failure alerts.

then i tried to down the drive but is comming UP frequently once i down that purticular drive..

again when i have checked the drive status it is showing drive is UP and loaded with media.

then i logged into SL console and dismounted the drive, media got dismounted and drive is avilable.

once again i check the status that purticular drive is again loaded with another media.

Can you please help me out in resolving the issue as soon as possible .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Well - with ACSLS I have actual seen Netbackup UP'ing a drive by itself. This happen - if I recall correctly - when Netbackup thinks the drive is ready upon mount/dismount errors. 

In this case I don't believe you may have a actual hardware issues. STATUS_LIBRARY_FAILURE  will be reported if you try to dismount a loaded media. A hardware issues is not out of the qustion however.

I sound like you have some sort of race going on for at tape drive. I would advice you to do this:

• From ACSLS vary the drive offline (use the "vary drive" command).
  • Down the drive from Netbackup, if a drive is offline in ACSLS Netbackup can't mount tapes.
  • Use the Netbackup nbrbutil to release the drive and tape allocations
  • Clear the drive from SLConsole 
  • Take a look in syslog for messages from ACSD  (media server) - I might contain may line with "resubmitting bla bla bla).
  • Take a look in /export/home/ACSSS/log/event.log this ACSLS think this is a hardware issues.
  • Vary the drive online in ACSLS
  • Test mounting and dismounting operation with ACSLS. Verify the media server OS see the tape drive as "Online BOT" using the mt command (e.g. mt –f /dev/rmt/0 status). Any issues here indicate a stuck tape in the drive, remove it physical.
  • Up the drive in Netbackup.

How to release a media and drive from NBRB

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126575

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

its showing STATUS_LIBRARY_FAILURE

Robotic mount failure alerts.

looks like an hardware issue.. you need to check with tape library vendor.

"then i tried to down the drive but is comming UP frequently once i down that purticular drive."

Netbackup does not make the Down drive UP automatically,someone might have done it or there may be a script enabled some where it will will look for the Down drives and make them up, you need to look for that..

since Drives are UP in netbackup it might be trying to get the Drives used for another jobs so you are seeing the tapes in the Drives.

now.. comming to the issue

do you see the alerts on the specific Drive or all the Drives on specific media server ?

what is your library model and netbackup versions?

sanjaynaidu
Level 3

Im able to see alerts on specific drive only.

Netbackup version 7.5

Liabrary model SL8500

Please give ur valuable inputs and moreover is there any other specific location where i can able to see the logs .

Shall i raise the vendoe call?

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

yah... as you are seeing this only for specific Drive.. go ahead and raise a harware vendor call..adn see how it goes..

and do post the update here..

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Nagalla - NBU will not automatically UP a drive - someone else or a script is doing that.

Check ACSLS logs as well for drive errors:

/export/home/ACSSS/log/acsss_event.log

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Well - with ACSLS I have actual seen Netbackup UP'ing a drive by itself. This happen - if I recall correctly - when Netbackup thinks the drive is ready upon mount/dismount errors. 

In this case I don't believe you may have a actual hardware issues. STATUS_LIBRARY_FAILURE  will be reported if you try to dismount a loaded media. A hardware issues is not out of the qustion however.

I sound like you have some sort of race going on for at tape drive. I would advice you to do this:

• From ACSLS vary the drive offline (use the "vary drive" command).
  • Down the drive from Netbackup, if a drive is offline in ACSLS Netbackup can't mount tapes.
  • Use the Netbackup nbrbutil to release the drive and tape allocations
  • Clear the drive from SLConsole 
  • Take a look in syslog for messages from ACSD  (media server) - I might contain may line with "resubmitting bla bla bla).
  • Take a look in /export/home/ACSSS/log/event.log this ACSLS think this is a hardware issues.
  • Vary the drive online in ACSLS
  • Test mounting and dismounting operation with ACSLS. Verify the media server OS see the tape drive as "Online BOT" using the mt command (e.g. mt –f /dev/rmt/0 status). Any issues here indicate a stuck tape in the drive, remove it physical.
  • Up the drive in Netbackup.

How to release a media and drive from NBRB

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126575

sanjaynaidu
Level 3

Thank a lot you All Nagula, Marianne ,Nicolai for ur quick and valuable info.

Just i want to say something which made me surprise is that...

When i saw the drive which took media once it was UP.

I forcebly dismounted the media from ACSLS server and checked the status Available from SLconsole.

i didnt even reboot the drive.....

After that i have seen that drive is working fine without getting Down by itself.

I have observed more than 1 day it looks fine...

But i dont know what will happen next but to my surprise it is working fine...

Will monitor that drive and post you updates for ur valuable suggestions,

Once again Thank you All..

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ensure that there is a VERBOSE entry in vm.conf on this media server so that all Media Manager events will be logged to /var/adm/messages. (ltid must be restarted to take effect).

Other than messages, also keep an eye on ACSLS event log (/export/home/ACSSS/log/acsss_event.log).