Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drives are in AVR Status!!

Shyam_Prasad
Level 4
Certified
Hi All,

When i used make the drives up they were going to the AVR status?
Pls. let me know how to troubleshoot this? 

Thanks,
Jaya
9 REPLIES 9

quebek
   VIP    Certified
If acs device check if You are able to ping acsls server.
If TLD i would check if tape drives numbers in robot are corresponding to NBU configuration.
Also please check with robtest that You are able to manage this device.
robtest is located in :
install path\volmgr\bin\robtest

Please provide output from these commands
vmoprcmd
tpconfig -d

scorpy_582
Level 6
Not sure what version of netbackup you are on, but following technotes might be helpful:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/296238.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/233113.htm

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Or they become AVR status some day while they are in correct status(TLD, ACS, or so on)?

AVR is correnct status if drives are configured as standalone drives.
These drives are realy in robotics and they have been in some status for robotics drive, I guess it is robotic communication issue.
Check syslog(/var/adm/messages[Solaris], /var/log/messages[Linux,..]) or application log[Windows] to find out messages line "DOWN", "no such file or directory", "cannot open" and so on.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

under devices
you should see your robot, verify that the column "Enabled" says yes - if it says no, then you are not talking to your robot.

CY
Level 6
Certified
Couple things you need to understand.

1st, the OS (where NBU Media server is on) needs to be able to see the drives before your NBU media server can see them.

- so, run hardware scan (Windows Device Manager -> scan for hardware change), or sgscan (Solaris), or ioscan (HP-UX), etc. to see if the OS can see the drives.

- if the OS saw drives are missing, you need to troubleshoot that part first.  Reset your HBA port links if the tape drives are on SAN.  IF that doesn't solve the problem, reset the FC
ports on the tape library (they usually have I/O blade cards for FC connection).

- after the FC links have been reset, try the sgscan/ioscan/etc. again and see if the OS can see the drives now.

- also check your HBA"s persistent binding configuration - it is important to understand that FC SAN is changed frequently (which is not a problem for SAN disk, but a problem for SAN tape), so persistent binding of your HBA port to the tape library's I/O port will help you A LOT!!

If the OS can see the drives fine, then you should be able to bring up the drives if the devices were configured correctly in NBU.  Make sure you followed the NBU Device Configuration Guide to configure them. (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290200.htm)

Kingkill
Level 4
Partner Certified
if TLD, kindly check the netbackup services on the master/media server. if services like avrd -v and tldcd or tldd is not up, the drive will change to AVR status. you can try to manually up the services.

Thanks

Shyam_Prasad
Level 4
Certified
Hi,

All my drive are TLD only...
i have checked the drive configuration...ebrything is fine.
and rpcbind is also running.
All the Daemons are active on both Master and Media servers.
Pls let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,
--Jaya

rilwan_dawodu
Level 4
Certified
Has it ever worked before? Or is this a new configuration setup?

1. confirm that all is well with the tape library and drives

2. check the ports on the SAN switch that they are online and that WWN of HBAs are seen by the switch

3. confirm the zone is ok and check if O/S can see the devices (sgscan)

4. confirm that the drives are setup correctly on the backup server(s)

5. if all is ok so far, restart the library (if you can) and restart the backup server

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
 output of "/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -d", "/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan".