cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual-Port LTO drive's configuration in Linux.

ilap
Level 3

Hi,

We have 4 dual-port LTO5 tape drives and I would like to configure them under  NB 7.6.0.[12].

The issue is that the IBM TS3310 needs license for "Path Failover" but I do not know whether the Netbackup supports Data Path Failover (DPF) and/or Contorl Path Failover (CPF) /w the normal Linux's sg (pass-through) driver or not.

I know that Netbackup can recognize multiple path to a drive and changer, but I do not know whether it works /w the enabled "Path Failover" on TS3310 or not. So, we would not like to buy "Path Failover" license for TS3310 if it won't work at all.

I tried /wo this license and it had several errors, so I had to unzone the 2nd path to the drives and unconfig the additional path to the changer in the TS3310 to get it work properly.

So, the config is the following:

0. Master server has 2 * one-port FC HBAs.

1. There are two FC SAN switch /w two Fabric (A and B, blue or red etc. etc.)

2. All drives' port1 is connected to Fabric A

3. All drives' port2 is connected to Fabric B

4. Master's HBA1 is connected to Fabric A, the HBA2 is to Fabric B

5. There are one zone on each fabric.

6. Fabric A has a zone including the: Masters' HBA1 and the drives port1,

7. Fabric A has a zone including the: Masters' HBA2 and the drives port2, (I know that the following would be better: "HBA1, drive1-port1, drive2-port1, drive3-port2, drive4-port2 and HBA2, drive1-port2, drive2-port2, drive3-port1 and drive4-port1", but the cabling is already done and it's in a remote DC (thousand kms away).

So, will NB handle the this kind of multipath (dual-ported tape drive) and would work properly /w 2 path to the drive and control if we buy the "Path Failover" lincense an apply it in the TS3310 Tape Lib with the standard sg driver? Or it needs the IBM Device Driver and I should just present one path to the NB Master.

Cheers,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Based on this TN, you may decide against it ...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH215781

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Based on this TN, you may decide against it ...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH215781

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Also from the 7.x Hardware Compablity List:

NetBackup requires the IBM Data Path Failover feature to be disabled on the IBM tape device driver