Did you mean: 

Duplication in NetBackup

sk_martin2001
Level 3

I need some help.

My environment.

WS 2008

NBU 7.6.1

Task : I am trying to duplicate my old LTO1/LTO2 tapes to new LTO4 Tapes. I have setup the script and it is duplicating fine but here are some problems.

I am using below in script

bpduplicate -dstunit $dstu -dp $destination_pool -Bidfile $bidfile -altreadhost $altreadhost -mpx

1> When I am running duplicate it reserves and allocates other tapes which I didn't select. Why ? In script I am picking 10 tapes and getting image information and then duplicating it.

2> How to find what all tapes would be needed to duplicate images on certain tapes. There are hundred of tapes that need to be duplicated and I have to recall them everyday in batches.

3> I am not using Vault because I want to duplicate the tapes that I am putting in library. In vault there is no option to pick the tapes. If you know a better way to do it from Vault please chime in.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What about Media/Tapes Written report? You can run the report in 'date batches'.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sk_martin2001
Level 3

Any help pls :)

Marianne
Level 6
When you use Images on media report/command, the output will list images as well as other media-ids where images have spanned media. You will need to locate all media id's listed in the output.

sk_martin2001
Level 3

Marianne:- I am duplicating 22000 tapes, is there a way i can use some command so I can recall tapes in batches and duplicate them. Right now i am recalling tapes and running a script to identify the images on those tapes and duplicating them. But lot of tapes end up having images as these are lto1/2 tapes and images spanned across multiple tapes.

Also can this be done via vault, i explored vault but i don't see any option to just put the tape number or images. If i run the vault with days it will grab the tape number randomlly and those tapes will not be in library at that time.

What is the best way to duplicate these tapes, if you can provide some expertise here.

I have 10 LTO3 tape drives shared between 3 media agents. These would be writing to LTO4 tape drives, which are also shared across 3 media agents.

Marianne
Level 6
What about Media/Tapes Written report? You can run the report in 'date batches'.

sk_martin2001
Level 3

Got it, last question before I mark the solution which I asked in my first post.

Do you see a way to do this from Vault ? I am doing this right now with Script and would like to know if there is any other good options.What's the best approach in this kind of case ?

Marianne
Level 6
I do not see Vault as a good fit for this task. Vault is best for recent backups where tapes are still in the robot. Locating tapes by date written is the best approach IMHO.