Did you mean: 

Duplication jobs are taking long time to complete the job

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Hello Guys,

I need your help for duplication jobs.

Environment details

Master server windows server 2003 enterprise edition

Master server is working as media server also , Media server have two tape drives attached

backups are firstly goes on local drive of master servers and then move to tapes, when duplicate job complete backup delete from primary location. On Master server E drive contains daily incremental backup images and F drive contains full backup images.

For daily backup image duplicate jobs are running fast, however I am facing issue with full backup images its takes lot of time to duplicate(5 times more time than daily incremental job) which cause we are facing space issue on F drive. And we are using same tape drive for both backup schedule.

7 REPLIES 7

Genericus
   VIP   

Can you give some information about the relative sizes of the incremental vs the full, and the time the backup takes? How long does the incremental backup take vs the full?

Logically if the full is 5 times larger, there you go.

Do you take check points on your backups?

Are these lots of small files or a few large ones?

One of the reasons I do incrementals is when there are so many small files that the full takes too long.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Yes, we have enable check point  option  and its time has 15 mins set. And we do not have small files on server it contains both small and large file and policy type is Ms-Windows.

And plese find below details for time taken by both incremental and full backup job

264498208 kb daily took 2.45 hours
21536962 kb took 9 hours to complete full backup duplicate  job

Genericus
   VIP   

Slow tape throughput can be many things - from dirty tape heads, to issues with the tape infrastructure, to issues with the server passing data to the tapes.

As you look at the jobs, is there anything consistant with the slow jobs vs faster jobs?

What kind of disks are your E and F drives? are they the same or different?

what tapes drives, how are they attached?

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Hi

I have attached screenshot for my disk mangament. And I don't think that there is issue with tape drive or medias because same drives are using for daily incremental schedule those are running with good writing speed.

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Addation to the above comments, I have checked E drive have spanned volume which and that volume have been created with the combination from two disk size. And F drive is striped which had created with the combination from 7 disks.

And as my understanding striped write faster data as compare to spanned volume.Kindly suggest

santosh_patra20
Level 3

hi 

i am a netbackup trainee, i want to buy netbackup 7.5 for learning perpose.

how can i get it?...plz help me..

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
This discussion has popped up again because someone added an unrelated query. I see you are using quite old version of NBU on a server where OS is no longer supported. My recommendation would be to migrate to new hardware with supported OS. The next step will be to upgrade NBU to a more current version. There have been major improvements as far as duplications are concerned in recent NBU versions. Consult the Performance Tuning Guide for recommendations.