Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication of a backup that has many child jobs

Ayaz_Anjum
Level 3

Hi, 

I am beginner to netbackup and figuring out the following

The oracle backup job has a parent job and then numerous child job. I want to duplicate an old backup of this server. 

Each child job has its own backup id 

My question is how do i find all the related child jobs so as to initiate duplication of them. Is there a command that can help me do this. I can guess from the close by time stamp of start time for each job. but is there a better way to do it.

Do i have to duplicate all the child backup separately or is there a better way to it. 

thanks 

5 REPLIES 5

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
Using a date/time listing is certainly the easiest way to put together your BID list for the duplication. You may have some extra items that don't need to be there (i.e. if RMAN kicked off an archive log job while the full job was still running), but at least you'll definitely get the stuff you care about. As a newcomer to NetBackup this is probably going to be the way you want to go. If you get really bored you can get the DBA to provide you with a list out of RMAN of the protected files and then see if you can get bpflist to provide you the backupids for each - usually it's not worth the effort though. Generally I'll outright tell DBAs that no, I cannot tell them the specific backupid that protected a particular archive file or such. NetBackup makes it a huge pain to find that info even if the job in question is still present in the Activity Monitor. Unless it's the control file of course, that's always the first job. =)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Ayaz_Anjum 

What type of backup storage are you using for backup and then for duplication?

If the storage is supported for LifeCycle Policies, you may want to automate backup and duplication with SLPs.

We are having having disk wtih SLP , however for some reason these were deactivated and hence some old backups could not be duplicated to tapes. 

Instead of manually duplicating, is there any other option ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unfortunately SLP only works for new jobs.
So, you can reactivate the SLPs to get the duplication automated going forward.

For images that are not duplicated, have a look at @jnardello suggestions to list images for a specific period and script it.

Genericus
   VIP   

I name my oracle parent schedule "Parent.Job" and my child schedule "Child.Job"
That way I can select the one I want.
If you use the command line you can get a listing of images for the specific client/policy/schedule/date range.
then just run through the bpduplicate command.

Be aware - if you make a file listing and then start the duplicate against that file, netbackup will remove them as it goes - PRO TIP - make a copy!

You can also use the GUI and find the jobs there, some specific selections and filtering may also allow you to pick what you want.

command line will run ONE job per image - so you get TONS of jobs.
GUI runs ONE job with all images.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS