cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication step in vault

Peaches_K
Level 3

Hi,

I have backups going to advanced and puredisk and from there we have to duplicate to tape with higher retention using vault.

Irrepective of the number of read and write tape drives mentioned, all images are grouped together in a single duplication stream. So, I have around 8 Tb in a single stream writing to only one tape drive.

I would want the 8 Tb to be split in 5 streams going to 5 tape drives so that images are duplicated faster. 

The advanced config box in duplication step can help only for multiple media servers but we have one media server. If I create two profiles in a single vault policy, the second profile begins only after the first profile completes, so this does not work for us.

Can you Please help me on how to go about this. 

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Please consider SLP for duplications rather than vault.

SLP image size can be customised.

watsons
Level 6

You're right about the profile, one can start only when the other completes.

But you can workaround that by creating 2 vault names under the same robot number, then create a profile for each vault name, you can then have both vault names running in parallel. Not a pretty solution, but that should work.

Sajal
Level 3

Hello,

I beleive you  are using  single media server and  assuming that the retention of source backup data is same.In that scenario, vault will initiate single stream of huge size job.It  has been explained in below technote

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000013678

You have two choices here:-

#Create multple vaults with each of its own profile and distribute the load between them smartly by manupulating source data at "choose backup" tab of profile.

#Else try the steps mention in below technote and see if it works

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000013582

-Sajal

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

I am with Marianne.. 

SLP will actaully give more control and options to mange the images ...  consider using SLPs to manges the multiple copies of a backup.

if you still want to go with Vault try the 2nd optioin provided by Sajal..