cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMC Celerra & NDMP

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6

Is anyone using EMC's Celerra product? Are you backing it up using NDMP? Are you doing vbb or tar backups?

7 REPLIES 7

zippy
Level 6
NDMP, it needs a license and it needs it own tape drive, wouldnt do it any other way.

Dan_Ryan_2
Level 4
Yes, and NDMP is the way to go if you want to back it up in a timely manner.  I know we tried backing it up using mount points in windows, unix, linux and it took forever.  The nice thing about them is they have a dedicated fibre cable in the back of the NDMP mover to maximize backup throughput.

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6

Dan,

Have you tried restoring everything, or at least looking at the BAR GUI or bplist to see if you could. The problem we have here is that the backups run fine, error code 0, the logs files on the Celerra and Netbackup show no errors. When I went to do a restore of a high level directory, it was empty. I wrote a quick and dirty perl script to check other directories and found 40 in the same condition. The script only check the highest level and I have, by hit and miss, found lower levels directories that were missing as well. EMC and Symantec have been working on this for over a week, with no fix yet. I highly recommend you try several restores just to be sure. You don't actually have to restore the data, just see if it is available in the GUI or use bplist.

zippy
Level 6
The EMC network attached storage device you use must run DartOS 5.5 or greater

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
here is a quick ref guide for NDMP backups http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287646.htm take a look maybe you can use a 3-way or remote-ndmp configuration if you cannot attach a drive your NAS device, will take longer to backup but is an option.

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
We are running 5.6.39-5. And we are doing "local" backups.

harrisv
Level 4
We are running 6.0mp4 and dart code is 5.5.32.400 is the DM.  I'm not seeing this type of problem.