EMM database error (196)

turguns
Level 5

Environment

master server Netbackup 7.1. Linux Redhat

media server Netbackup 6.5 Solaris 8

media server Netbackup 6.5 Solaris 9

VTL (fujitsu CS800)+TAPE(fujitsu LT60)

When I click Configure Storage Device from GUI to  make some changes, it is not coming.Loading time is very high..

Before it takes approximately 5-10 minute when I clicked the Configure Storage Device.

As per our investigations it is because of two media server having a trouble with EMM server. (EMM is also master server).

from media side we runned the following commands

bash-2.03# ./bpclntcmd -hn sf880dss
host sf880dss: sf880dss at 10.10.1.46 (0xa0a012e)
aliases:     sf880dss.geocell.com.ge     loghost

bash-2.03# ./bpclntcmd -ip 10.10.1.46
checkhaddr: host   : sf880dss: sf880dss at 10.10.1.46 (0xa0a012e)
checkhaddr: aliases:     sf880dss.geocell.com.ge     loghost

bash-2.03# ./bpclntcmd -pn
expecting response from server nbumedia
sf880dss sf880dss 10.10.1.46 42670

bash-2.03# ./bpclntcmd -self
current domain = geocell.com.ge
NIS does not seem to be running: (10) can't communicate with ypbind
gethostname() returned: sf880dss
host sf880dss: sf880dss at 10.10.1.46 (0xa0a012e)
aliases:     sf880dss.geocell.com.ge     loghost

From above we see the connection side is normal. But by running the following command we got the error.

bash-2.03# ./nbemmcmd -getemmserver
NBEMMCMD, Version:6.5
Failed to initialize EMM connection.  Verify that network access to the EMM server is available and that the services nbemm and pbx_exchange are running on the EMM server. (195)
Command did not complete successfully.
bash-2.03#

From Master Server by running the following command we got the error as below

[root@nbumedia ~]# vmoprcmd -h sf880dss -extall
EMM database error (196)

P.S we have also another 5 media servers. With them no problem.

Did anybody face with similar issue???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

First off - as i am sure you are aware - NBU 6.5 is long since end of life - so please upgrade to 7.x as soon as you can

Back to your issue ... this usually happens when there is a network issue somewhere - DNS, routing etc.

It is worth adding hosts files all round for the affected servers (so Master name in Media Servers hosts files and vice-versa)

Also check the bp.conf on all of them - the Master should heva the media servers listed and the Media Servers should have the Master listed first in their bp.conf file

Next check the vm.conf on the media servers to ansure they are named correctly in there.

Do any of them have multiple networks? if so you may need to set the REQUIRED_INTERFACE = in their vm.conf files.

Finally take down netbackup on the media servers and then re-start pbx_exchange before starting it up again

Hope some of this helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

First off - as i am sure you are aware - NBU 6.5 is long since end of life - so please upgrade to 7.x as soon as you can

Back to your issue ... this usually happens when there is a network issue somewhere - DNS, routing etc.

It is worth adding hosts files all round for the affected servers (so Master name in Media Servers hosts files and vice-versa)

Also check the bp.conf on all of them - the Master should heva the media servers listed and the Media Servers should have the Master listed first in their bp.conf file

Next check the vm.conf on the media servers to ansure they are named correctly in there.

Do any of them have multiple networks? if so you may need to set the REQUIRED_INTERFACE = in their vm.conf files.

Finally take down netbackup on the media servers and then re-start pbx_exchange before starting it up again

Hope some of this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Mark is right - support for NBU 6.5 ended in Oct 2012.
I do realize that NBU 6.5 was the latest version that supported Solaris 8 and 9, but these OS versions are also no longer supported by SUN/Oracle. 
PLEASE upgrade your media servers to supported OS or find newer servers to be NBU media servers.

Your current problem is with hostname mismatch.

I have no explanation for this, but I have seen EMM behaving 'weird' where FQDN names exist in OS or DNS config, even when ALL of NBU was configured with shortnames.
If FQDN is used ANYwhere in the environment, it must be used EVERYwhere. Even when NBU is configured with shortnames.
If you have multiple NICs/IPs, check that they are all properly bound to different hostnames.

Please check that you have proper aliases in all /etc/hosts files - master and media servers.

On master:

IP-address master-name master.FQDN loghost
IP-address media1-name media1.FQDN 
IP-address media2-name media2.FQDN 

On Media servers:

IP-address media1-name media1.FQDN loghost
IP-address master-name master.FQDN 
IP-address media2-name media2.FQDN 

PS: Hopefully you have latest NBU 6.5 patches on these media servers?

turguns
Level 5

Hello  Marianne and Mark.

This issue was solved

we removed sf880dss and 3 media server from EMM. Because they were unusable for us..

Now GUI wizard is working properly..

With BR,

Turgun