cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERR - Error encountered while attempting to get additional files for System State:\

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

I back up a single windowsx64 server (along with ~80 linux servers) - on the windows server I back up all local drives (with some exceptions in the exception list) and always get a 'requested operation was partially successful' result with the error from the detailed status:

Dec 19, 2019 12:56:04 PM - Error bpbrm (pid=28408) from client u1probob01v: ERR - Error encountered while attempting to get additional files for System State:\

I have checked the Host Properties / Master Server / Properties / Client Attributes / Windows Open File Backup - and it is set to use VSS.  As part of my troubleshooting, I removed the client from Windows Open File Backup and re-added it.  Then restarted all the netbackup services and tried the job again - same result. 

I could use some help with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks everybody

It is Win2016. It has been happening on both full and differential backups.

It is strange - the job has been partially successful for months (I had already determined that I could recover the stuff from the box that I really cared about)

I worked on it yesterday and couldn't get it to succeed.  As I described I took the server out of vss and put it back in - restarted netbackup and tried another test - still partially successful.  I created the ticket and went on to other tasks.

This morning - the job was 100% successful.  I reran the backup again - and it worked again.  Something must have been cached.

This has been a very low priority (as I said, I already knew the data I cared about was being backed up and was recoverable) - but I'm super happy to have it off my conscience.  Thanks for all the replies.  I'm always very pleased with the help I get from this forum.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hey Bruce

1) Is it Windows Server 2016?  Or something else?

2) Does your problem occur for full backup, or cinc, or diff - or any / all schedule types?

3) Have you seen this:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Incremental-backup-fail-with-status-code-1/m-p/869956

4) The find out which parts / elements / files the backup is choking on, then you need to enable level 5 bpbkar logging - but be warned it can consume a fair quantity of disk space:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100034278

...so remember to unset / reset back to level 0 afterwards.

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello Bruce,

Could you please confirm the Windows Os version?

1/ If it is a WS2016

Do you have this line before the error that you mentioned :

from client nbuclient: WRN - can't open object: System State:\System Files\System Files (WIN32 3758134305: Unknown error)

if it is, You will need to get bpbkar (on verbose=5) to identifiy missing files from the systems backup.. (entries like : 0x00000003..) just grep it with this kind of entries..

The error WIN32 3758134305  is a known one.. please take note of this technote: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100034278 

and this KB  from microsoft : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4052556/error-the-system-writer-is-not-found-in-the-backup-...

you will need to create these files with Contig software (or similar programs), not just create an ordinary file :

I.E the one I used to use is :

Contig.exe -v -n C:\Windows\servicing\Version\10.0.14393.0\x86_installed 9

Contig.exe -v -n C:\Windows\servicing\Version\10.0.14393.0\amd64_installed 9

2/ if its a WS2016 but this is not the same error you get, please post bpbkar logs on a high verbose, because there are a lot of related problems.. (vsock for example..)

but first, you will need to check VSS states and events logs on the server for any entry regarding vss, volsnap..

good luck,

BR

Thanks everybody

It is Win2016. It has been happening on both full and differential backups.

It is strange - the job has been partially successful for months (I had already determined that I could recover the stuff from the box that I really cared about)

I worked on it yesterday and couldn't get it to succeed.  As I described I took the server out of vss and put it back in - restarted netbackup and tried another test - still partially successful.  I created the ticket and went on to other tasks.

This morning - the job was 100% successful.  I reran the backup again - and it worked again.  Something must have been cached.

This has been a very low priority (as I said, I already knew the data I cared about was being backed up and was recoverable) - but I'm super happy to have it off my conscience.  Thanks for all the replies.  I'm always very pleased with the help I get from this forum.