cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR 58 cannot connect to client.

snawaz3
Level 6

nbu masre/media/client 7.5.0.6      os windows 2008r2

I have started getting a error 58 can't connect to client error on one of my servers. I have run the following cmds from the master and the client, bpclntcmd -hn, bpclntcmd -ip, bpclntcmd -pn succesfully. see attached docs. But i cannot ping from either machine to each other. I can ping and also rdp to both machines from my workstation. Can anybody help me futher trouble shoot?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner
1)Please verify whether  reverse lookup is working  on client side or not? 2)PLease run bptestbpcd -client -verbose debug and send us the output along with the bpcd log If bpcd log is not getting update then it would be a firewall issue then Verify telnet to port 1556 and/or 1724 are working or not

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner
1)Please verify whether  reverse lookup is working  on client side or not? 2)PLease run bptestbpcd -client -verbose debug and send us the output along with the bpcd log If bpcd log is not getting update then it would be a firewall issue then Verify telnet to port 1556 and/or 1724 are working or not

Will_Restore
Level 6
D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpclntcmd -hn nduapp19
host nduapp19: nduapp19.ndu.edu at 198.76.98.16
aliases:     nduapp19.ndu.edu     nduapp19     198.76.98.16

D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpclntcmd -ip 198.76.98.16
host 198.76.98.16: powell.ndu.edu at 198.76.98.16
aliases:     powell.ndu.edu     198.76.98.16

presuming nduapp19 is your client ...

it's name resolves to an IP, but that IP resolves to a different name (powell.ndu.edu)

NetBackup really needs forward/reverse lookups to match.  Fix DNS or hosts file on the Master server.

jim_dalton
Level 6

The (lack of) resolution from the master server and the client in question is pertinent and what wr says still holds true.Maybe also dns for your pc  is different to that employed by the server and client....nslookup will tell you who is supplying the information.

Jim

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As the others have mentioned, DNS is going to be a big factor here. NetBackup relies on forward and reverse lookup of its servers. once you have fixed that. Please then make sure you can telnet to 1556 and 1724 between the client and server. 

vamsy_valluri
Level 2
Certified
First check the communication through ping command from Master Server to that particular Client server

next run the below command from master server

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\>bptestbpcd -client nduapp19 -verbose -debug

and then try the below commands from client server end.

D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpclntcmd -self
D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpclntcmd -pn

As WR said like it's a name resolves to an IP, but that IP resolves to a different host name (powell.ndu.edu), try nslookup for confirmation.

please Fix DNS or hosts file entries on the Master server and also check the client properties and registry file entries from client server end.

NOTE: From client server end these ports bpcd(13782),vnetd(13724),PBX(1556) and (13720) should be open.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

But i cannot ping from either machine to each other.

You need to speak to your network admins....

bpclntcmd simply shows that an IP address can be found for the hostname and that a hostname is found for the IP address.

It does not expect a response (like ping does) or not try to connect (like bptestbpcd does).

When ping is working again, remember to refresh NBU host cache to ensure correct IP address is associated with hostnames:
bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

2008 R2 - some connections appear to work yet ping does not - this is a typical windows firewall issue - disable all three windows firewalls and try again (or set all exceptions) - as well as your obvious DNS issues

Admin_NBU
Level 4

can you please check the window firewall status ...