cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESX virtual machine error 156

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

Hi all,

i was trying to configure a NBU for taking ESX Virtual Machine Backups. i was reading all technotes and specially  318357. now reached a point where need help  :)
my environment is:
-->NBU Master/media/emm Server 6.5.4 (Solaris 5.10)
-->NBU Media Server (Solaris 5.10) added to existing NBU(Master/media/emm)   working functionally perfect.
-->fullfilled all requirements as Snapshot License etc

now for taking esx virtual machine backups,

-->installed Win Server 2003 (32 bit)
-->Virtual Centre 2.5 (configured datacentre --> esx)    esx running Solaris machines
-->NBU Media Server 6.5.4  (working perfect)
-->Configured Storage Unit which is listed in Policies tab and working perfectly.

now, i am facing the error 156 "Snapshot error encountered" when run backup.

-->used policy Flashbackup-windows  and followed step listed in the technote 318357.
--> also in policy i can't browse any esx/virtual machine,
-->infact in Policy--> in Client's tab when i click New --> and browse for Virtual machines ---> getting error " System error occured "
-->i have added the ESX (ipaddress and Hostname ) to the /etc/hosts file of Master, 2 Media Servers.    pinging is perffect.

is there something which i missed, or what ?  why i am not able to access ESX or Virtual machines ?
12 REPLIES 12

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

is there anything else, needed to be performed for proxy Server ?

I have installed Virtual Centre,  and i beleive VCB (Vmware Consolidated backup) resides inside the Virtual centre 2.5

kindly suggest?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

in my opinion should be a windows based server.
here is quotation from the doc you are reffering to 318357
"The VMware backup proxy server must run Windows 2003 or 2008 (VCB 1.5
is required for 2008). The supported hardware types are the same as for any
NetBackup Windows client. For further information on supported guest
operating systems andVMwarecomponents and versions, refer to the following
Symantec tech note:
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/312604"

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

but i am using Virtual Centre 2.5 , in which VCB is 1.1

is there anything which i missed, why i am getting the encountered by snapshot error.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

probably is you media server which is running solaris and shluld be Windows based.
Btw what is your snapshot mount point in the policy details? IMHO this has to be a NTFS volume on media server!

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

ya it is a NTFS volume.

one quick question:
i was looking on the tech note
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1007176&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&dialogID=75756738&stateId=0%200%2082325140

that in order to check the VCB build version, but i am not able to see VCB folder in my "cd C:\Program Files\VMware\\" there is no "VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\"
 Although i have installed Virtual Centre, my quiestion, is still any thing needed to be installed for VCB ?

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

i have installed VCB as well, version 1.5.0

but can some give me any clue... how can i configure esx virtual machine backups, as i have already given my environment above.

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

Dear All,

can someone suggest, is there any script which can be merged in VMWARE CONSOLIDATED BACKUP

if yes, how ?
any solution ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
You need to add to your environment:

my environment is:
-->NBU Master/media/emm Server 6.5.4 (Solaris 5.10)
-->NBU Media Server (Solaris 5.10) added to existing NBU(Master/media/emm)   working functionally perfect.
--> NBU Media Server 6.5.4 (Windows 2003/2008 x32/x64) with valid NBU licensing, Install VMware VCB 1.5 [this is your proxy server)
-->fullfilled all requirements as Snapshot License etc

Do you fullfill this requirement?

If so then I suggest you get the NBU 6.5x NetBackup for VMware Guide and look at the section on Logging and create the relevant log directories on the Proxy servers.
Go even simpler troubleshooting with VCB and the examples at URL below:-
See here http://www.petri.co.il/vmware-consolidated-backup-utilities.htm

BTW If you installed VCB on your Virtual Center Server then your Virtual Center Server has to have Netbackup installed as a media server.

It must have access/presented to the LUNS your VM's are located.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I suggest you read the following URL's to understand if VCB will do what you want.
http://www.dailyhypervisor.com/wp-content/plugins/downloads-manager/upload/Setting_Up_VCB.pdf

Also read this page and the white papers attached.
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/veritas-netbackup-65-vmware-3x-best-practices

These documents helped me get a working VCB environment.

Brian_Smith1
Level 4
Employee

I'm no expert, but VCB is a CLI from VMware.  It's a separate download and installation that needs to happen on the NBU for VMware Windows client.  As a baseline, you should be able to use the VCB CLI to create a snapshot for backup, copy it to the Windows backup proxy server, and delete the copy.

Once VCB is installed and operating, the first thing to look at is your VMware username/password settings saved in NetBackup.  Make sure they exist and have adequate permission.  See the NetBackup for VMware guide at go.symantec.com/nbu.

Lastly, sounds like your environment meets vStorage minimum requirements (ESX 3.5 U2 or vCenter 2.5).  So NetBackup 7 will use vStorage APIs which are 2x faster than VCB.  (Direct access to snapshot, no copy to proxy before backup.)

BTW, the minimum requirement for NetBackup for VMware is a WIndows client.  The media server can be any supported media server.  The backup proxy does not need to be a media server, but often is for performance reasons.

If you continue to have problems, you may want to contact Symantec Technical Support.

Hope this helps!

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

i am fed up with working on VCB, and getting no sucess.... what the hell ... doing work on command line as well...

i want to downlaod NBU 7 and then try with ESX U2.

will some one update me the exact link from where i can download, as on symantec site, no proper patch to upgrade it.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Can be downloaded from Fileconnect as per this TechNote:
How to obtain the installation source download and license keys for NetBackup Server, NetBackup Ent...

NOTE:
"...
A serial number is required to initiate the software download through FileConnect.   This serial number is specific to the FileConnect site and is not the product license key.  The serial number will either come with an upgrade or purchase letter.
..."

You may also be interested in this :
Welcome to the NetBackup 7.0 Upgrade Portal (Last updated April 5, 2010)