cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV_INDEX_LOCATION selection able to only backup open or close index?

patriot3w
Level 5
Partner Accredited

We are using NBU 7.1 and EV 10, I checked the NBU EV agent document, the EV_INDEX_LOCATION only able to backup all the indexes within a site.

Is there any configration can be done to make it only back open indexes or close indexes?

The reason is our index and vault store partition are on the same LUN, once the partition closed, the index also will be closed. Once the new partition opened, the new index location also will be opened.

The backup schedule for closed index and open index is different.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If the file bpstart_notify.bat exists in the netbackup\bin\ directory on the client then what ever is in it gets run before the backup starts (similaly the bpend_notify.bat at the end of the backup)

So you can put anything you like in it, just like any bat file.

If you do run multiple streams then it gets run for every stream so is an issue.

Based on your thinking then you may want to do the following:

1. create a bpstart_notify.evtrigger.bat with all of your commands in

2. create a policy named evtrigger that just backups up something like c:\ev.txt

Have your vault partition, vault index and SQL backup policies created ready to run but with no scheduled windows

3. in your batch file run your queries, put EV into backup mode and then run the following, selecting the policy and schedule name according to your results:

bpbackup -i -p policyname -s schedulename -w

The -w makes it wait for the command to complete before moving on (and backing up your text file so that the backup completes)

When it completes it needs to have the bpend_notify.evtrigger.bat in which you can take EV out of backup mode.

You will need the ev server adding to the Master Servers Host Properties - Servers list to allow it to do this and will also need to max out the bpstart_notify timeout on the Master and Media Servers - again Host Propeties - Timeouts tab

Hope this gives you some ideas

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I am afraid not - and it is not in NetBackup 7.5 either (not yet anyway)

Your only other option is to do backups without using the agent (which can be faster  to be honest - especially if you have an Enterprise Client license to do Flash Backups

patriot3w
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thank you Mark.

If I do backups withou using the agent, how should I auto detect the open/closed partitions? Last time the Symantec consulting gave me a document using perl script to do that. But I still don't understand how should I configure the settings.

Do you have any idea on this?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK

If you use normal backups then you need to decide how they will run as multiple stream backups will cause the bpstart_notify.bat files to be run multiple times - so either use parent_start_notify on the Master or have the bpstart_notify (and bpend_notify for that matter) do some checking to ensure it only runs for the first stream.

What you need is the commands to put the vault stores and indexes into backup mode at the start of the backup and take it back out at the end.

If you fire up the EV Shell from the Start Menu and then type:

Set-ExecutionPolicy -executionPolicy AllSigned

Next, while still in the shell cd to your \enterprise vault\Reports\templates\ directory and run:

.\Transform-Backup.ps1

Choose R to run the script once.

This creates a file named Transform-Backup.ps in that directory which you can open in IE and just copy and paste the two lines you need into you bstart_notify,bat file to put it in backup mode and the other two to take it back out into the bpend_notify.bat

They should look like:

%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell -psconsolefile
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "&
{set-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'your vault Store Group'
-evservername yourserver -evobjecttype vaultstoregroup}"

and similar for the indexes

patriot3w
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Mark, the powershell script already in place. I'm going to take a look at bpstart_notify.bat.

I'm not a NBU guy, do you have any guide/link on the script? Can it work on NBU 7.1?

I'm thinking to use the script to query the SQL server to get the open/closed indexes then trigger the backup policy to backup accordingly.

Thank you.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If the file bpstart_notify.bat exists in the netbackup\bin\ directory on the client then what ever is in it gets run before the backup starts (similaly the bpend_notify.bat at the end of the backup)

So you can put anything you like in it, just like any bat file.

If you do run multiple streams then it gets run for every stream so is an issue.

Based on your thinking then you may want to do the following:

1. create a bpstart_notify.evtrigger.bat with all of your commands in

2. create a policy named evtrigger that just backups up something like c:\ev.txt

Have your vault partition, vault index and SQL backup policies created ready to run but with no scheduled windows

3. in your batch file run your queries, put EV into backup mode and then run the following, selecting the policy and schedule name according to your results:

bpbackup -i -p policyname -s schedulename -w

The -w makes it wait for the command to complete before moving on (and backing up your text file so that the backup completes)

When it completes it needs to have the bpend_notify.evtrigger.bat in which you can take EV out of backup mode.

You will need the ev server adding to the Master Servers Host Properties - Servers list to allow it to do this and will also need to max out the bpstart_notify timeout on the Master and Media Servers - again Host Propeties - Timeouts tab