Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVA Array credentials and snapshot hardware provider

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi

I'm trying to configure a snapshot client backup for an HP P6000 and need a little help in understanding what I should see in the snapshot options dialogue box.

Before I started any configurations I had 5 options in my snapshot method... auto, VSS,OST_FIM, RealTime and Flashsnap.....

This is a test environment and so I have a Windows 2008 R2 Master\Media server (running 7.5.0.6) which is fibre connected to the EVA. I have luns created on the EVA which I use for Dedupe Pools and Catalog locations. I also have a Windows 2008 netbackup client which is also fibre attached to the same EVA and I have a test LUN with some test data presented to the NetBackup client.

Test backups over the LAN is all fine.

On both machines I have installed HP Command View 9.4 and SSSU and used the same credentials for each and I can attach to the EVA from both servers and manage the array.

I next downloaded and installed the HP VSS\VDS hardware provider on both servers and followed the wizard to provide the login credentials and this all looked ok. Now when I run VSSAdmin List Providers I can see the HP VSS hardware provider and the MS VSS provider listed.

I still only have the same 5 options in my snapshot client options dialogue when I try to create a policy - I have restarted services and rebooted the master server - no difference.

So I continued with the information in the snapshot client pdf to add the HP EVA credentials into the Disk Array Hosts on the master server and this is perhaps where I need the extra help:

The 'Disk Array Host' is the name of the server that is running Command View and SSSU - Correct?

As I have CV and SSSU installed on both the master\media server AND the NetBackup client should I enter both here? Which will it use the with Command View only 1 CV server can be active at any one time..... I assume it uses SSSU so this may not be an issue.

Again rebooted and restarted services and still only see the same five options in the snapshot client options box - SHOULD I see anything relating to HP EVA in the box or not?

Regardless of this I selected the VSS option and set the provider type to hardware so it would use the HP provider and configured a policy to take a snapshot of a LUN that I presented to the NetBackup master server . This worked and I could see the snapshot being taken within Command view and being backed up before the snapshot was then deleted. I tried the same with the client but this failed with a 156 error.

I felt it wasn't using the correct API into the EVA so I deleted the Disk Array host entry from the master server and still the job runs fine, so concluded the Disk Array Host entry is where I'm going wrong..... what should this be and should I see differences with the snapshoy options methods ever?

thanks in advance - 

Keir

2 REPLIES 2

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi again

So just to simplify the scenario a bit....and reduce the number of questions - I think I just have one initial question to help with my troubleshooting:

Having instaled the HP VSS hardware provider and SSSU on the master\media server should I see any HP EVA entrries in the 'snapshot client' 'Options' methods drop down box on the attributes tab of the policy?

If I should then I have something to troubleshoot and if I shouldn't then I can focus my troubleshooting in another area. This is a NBU 7.5 environment - I've seen screen shots for 6.5 showing entries but perhaps 7.5 works differently - many thanks

180px_SNC_0.JPG

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hello

I think I've now concluded that the way to configure EVA snapshots with Windows clients is via VSS hardware provider and not the Disk Array Host - That seems to make sense looking at the SNC compatibility list as this shows only UNIX and Linux support for Disk Arrays..... Windows is only mentioned under the VSS hardware provider.

So I now believe that I don't need to touch the Disk Array Host configuration and won't see any EVA related options in the snapshot client options as I've only a Windows environment. Therefore I should use VSS as my snapshot method.

I still need to work out why I don't seem to be able to take snapshots of the client (just the media server) but that may be something on the EVA config rather than NBU so I'll take a closer look at that.

If anyone thinks otherwise then I'm happy to take on board any thoughts, but otherwise I think my key questions have been answered

cheers