Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Notification randomly missing for catalog backup

angelguard
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

I'm having some issue with the email notification as mentioned in the title. Currently I'm using blat.exe. 

NetBackup version: 7.5.0.5

blat version: Blat v3.1.1

Anyone kindly help on this.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are you sure Catalog backups were successful?

Status 1 is seen as a failure and no email will be sent.

If all backups were successful (status 0) you will have to dig into logs to see if NBU has sent email.
If memory serves me right, bpbrm and/or nbpem.

angelguard
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi Marianne

Yes. It was successfully backup with status code 0. I just wonder why sometime I receive, sometime didn't. 

Please advice how to troubleshoot on it. Is any logging level need to be enabled?

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

nbpem logging is enabled by default.

Create bpbrm log on the media server.

There was another post about 2 years ago where Martin and I managed to find email notification in nbpem and bpbrm. Will see if I can find it...

Marianne
Level 6

I found the following in bpbrm on our lab server (master is also media server). Look for the 1st reference to the name of the Catalog policy and note the PID:

11:35:55.407 [29006] <2> logparams: -backup -S master -c master -ct 7 -ru root -cl CATALOG -sched CATALOG -bt 1382952955 -dt 0 -st 0 -b master_1382952955 -mediasvr master -jobid 6113 

Now look for 'mail' at the end of the job:

11:36:14.599 [29006] <2> db_end: Need to collect reply
11:36:14.671 [29006] <2> bpbrm Exit: attempting to send mail to root on master
11:36:14.702 [29006] <2> bpbrm Exit: EXIT STATUS 0:
11:36:14.702 [29006] <2> bpbrm Exit: sending dbclient :<EXIT STATUS 0:>
11:36:14.708 [29006] <2> bpbrm Exit: client backup EXIT STATUS 0: the requested operation was successfully completed

So, you can see that NBU attempted to send mail. What happens at OS level with mail application is outside NBU's control.

bills
Level 5

As Marianne has said, NBU can only attempt to send mail - what happens to the mail after that is out of its control.  I suspect spam filtering, either at the mail client level, or as part of the corporate network.  I've had similar issues, where sometimes (not all the time) certain emails would get flagged as spam and discarded by the various applications they've used to monitor email.

Check the junk folder in your client, check with the Exchange (or equivalent) and netword admins to see what filtering they have in place and if they can track messages.

I'm not familiar with blat, so I don't know if there is some sort of debugging you can turn on there - but you can try running Wireshark or similar on the master to see if you can see the SMTP traffic going out - that way you can at least eliminate NBU and blat (if you try this, best to identify the mail relay and filter on that IP, so Wireshark doesn't try to capture EVERYTHING...).

Hope that helps

Bill