cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Notifications for backup failure

Venkatesh_K
Level 5
hi everyone im remotely assisting Backup jobs.....im handling 6 servers all servers with windows servers support

when ever i see that particular job has failed then i manully backup the data matching schedule and policy

since finding out which job has failed is bit complecated (because i see all the failure jobs for past few days even though they were restarted n were successful)

is there any possibilities that i can get an e-mail natification when ever a job fails

or is there any easy method by which we can know which job has failed

( in one of the thread i read that we can have e-mail notification when data backup finishes )

Thanks in advance
venkatesh
4 REPLIES 4

DavidParker
Level 6
Venkatesh,
What version of NetBackup are you using?
If you have an SMTP for the system to use, you can configure this quite easily.

On the Administrator Console, go into the Host Properties for the master server.
On the 'Universal Settings' tab, enter an email address at the bottom.

Next, configure the nbmail.cmd file to use your SMTP server (you may need to install an SMTP sending program on the master).

You can read more about it here: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274059.htm
(scroll down to the nbmail.cmd section)

Regards,
DP

Oh, just a side note: If you configure the Client Email notifications, the system will send an email for EVERY job that completes (regardless of the status).

DavidParker
Level 6
Here's another tech note that may be of assistance for you:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/254809.htm

If you're hoping to just have failed jobs emailed, then you might need to do something with a scripted and scheduled event.

The easy way would be to setup the normal email feature and just have an email rule to auto-delete all the successful job emails ...

Venkatesh_K
Level 5
thanks Parker

my issue was almost resolved but i hv one more query

what if there are many ( say 100 ) failures at a time r 100 jobs complete within small amount of time in that case i get 100 mails within small amount of time wont that b a problem for me....

also plz let me know if there wil b any delay in the mail that i recive from the time it has completed

DavidParker
Level 6
Yes, if you have 100 failures you will receive 100 emails.
As always with email, you should expect some delays; this also depends on your email server and (of course) how fast the Internet is at that particular moment.
How fast do you need this? Immediately? Within 5 minutes? Within 15 minutes?