cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email alert for backup running longer time

humacdeep
Level 2

Hi,

I want to know if NB 7.5 have an option to send / popup an alert if a particular job is running over the specific time (not backup Window).

For example: If a job has 10 hours time window, I want to get an alert if the backup is running for more than 5 hours. Is it possible?

Regards,

Deep

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In a word, no.

The NBU email alerts are very basic, really all it amounts to is sending a mail if a job is successful or fails.

You could do what you require with custom scripts on the master server, but this is outside the scope of these forums really, as it is OS scripting, though it would use a few NBU commands.

OpsCenter, which is freely available, has an alert that can be configured if a job runs more than a specified time.

This can be set per policy, so I could for example, set an alert (either email or trap) if my womble_basic_disk policy runs for more than 2 hours.

This is easily set in the Alert Policies screen, accessable from the 'Home' screen of OpsCenter.

Be aware, you cannot just install OpsCenter - it is a complex product that requires an specific amount of resouces (CPU/ memory etc ...) depending on hom many servers it is monitoring.  I do NOT recommend this is installed on a Master or Media server, it should be on it's own server.

Martin

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In a word, no.

The NBU email alerts are very basic, really all it amounts to is sending a mail if a job is successful or fails.

You could do what you require with custom scripts on the master server, but this is outside the scope of these forums really, as it is OS scripting, though it would use a few NBU commands.

OpsCenter, which is freely available, has an alert that can be configured if a job runs more than a specified time.

This can be set per policy, so I could for example, set an alert (either email or trap) if my womble_basic_disk policy runs for more than 2 hours.

This is easily set in the Alert Policies screen, accessable from the 'Home' screen of OpsCenter.

Be aware, you cannot just install OpsCenter - it is a complex product that requires an specific amount of resouces (CPU/ memory etc ...) depending on hom many servers it is monitoring.  I do NOT recommend this is installed on a Master or Media server, it should be on it's own server.

Martin

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you don't have Opscenter I have a unix shell script that can send a mail if a jobs(s) has been running longer than X seconds 

humacdeep
Level 2

Thanks mph999 for the details provided. I dont have OpsCenter installed in my environment, as per your recommandation I am not going to install it right away, till I research the utilization.

Hi Nicolai, I would like to try the Unix Sheel Script. Could you please share it?

Regards,

Deep

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Sure. Some notes. Place both runtime_treshold.pl and nnit_env.pm in same directory.  The script need a qualifyer - thats in seconds the time of the treshold

1 hour = 3600

24 hour = 86400

You define the mail addresses in nnit_env.pm. 

humacdeep
Level 2

Thanks Nicolai!!

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Did it work for you ?

humacdeep
Level 2

I have not yet tested this, will let you know the result as soon as I am done with my testing.