cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty Fields in NetBackup Detailed Status

AlanTLR
Level 5

We're running NetBackup 7.5 on our master and Exchange client, where I'm doing a mailbox-level backup, which runs for a long time, but they've seemed to have exceeded the longest it's ever run (it's going on 90 hours now).  When I'm looking at the detailed status in the java Admin console, I see that the "current kilobytes written:", "Current Files written", and the "Current file" are all blank.  The status does say that it's still writing.  Is there any way to verify that it actually is still writing data?

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am trying to think what I would do to see if the backup is actually still running...
One would think that the backup will timeout if no data is received and Client Read Timeout was reached.

Probably would first check if backup processes are still running.
On master/media: bptm and bpbrm
On client: bpbkar

If logs are enabled, check when last anything has been logged in bptm and in bpbkar.

From OS level, check if there is any IO on the tape drive with iostat:
iostat -xn 3 |grep cbn
(Will display io stats every 3 seconds until you press ^C. Ignore 1st set of stats.)

About mailbox backups... Ever thought of changing over to GRT?

AlanTLR
Level 5

Marianne,

It failed after 3 days with a network error status.  This may have been caused by some network problems.

The iostat command helped, though I'm not seeing it use rmt/##cbn.  They're only at rmt/## (e.g. rmt/3, rmt/7, rmt/11).

After looking at your post, I did some research on GRT.  I didn't see anything that lists advantages over doing the Mailbox-level backups (Include:  Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[A-G]*).  We currently have several Exchange mailbox-levels that are split by first letter; these backups still allow us to restore individual emails without having the GRT checkbox checked.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

GRT backups allow you to perform single item restore from Information Store backups. No need for separate policies.

Mailbox backups are also known to be S-L-O-W due to the inefficient way of NBU Client Service needing to login to each mailbox in order to back it up.

The logs that I have mentioned above should help to troubleshoot the failure.
The network error may have been a timeout on the media server. Logs will tell if bpbkar sent data and bptm will tell if data was received and up to which point.

I have not used iostat in many years, so, probably best to grep for rmt to get tape devices.