cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable Deduplication on NetBackup 7.5

Tfaraj
Level 4

We have got NetBackup 7.5.0.6 running on Windows Server 2008 and currently backing up data on SAN Storage.

I want to enable deduplication on it.

Could you please provide me the best practice procedure to do so ?

Where the deduplication should be enabled on client or Server level and how it will be reflected on SAN storage?

Please adivse

Regards,

--Tarek--

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
No. You cannot use the same lun for Basic disk and MSDP. As per my post of 19 May: You cannot convert Basic Disk to dedupe. You will need to duplicate everything to tape (or other storage), expire all backups on the disk, double-check that the disk is clean, then configure dedupe, provided that the server and storage match requirements and you have dedupe license.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Marianne

Please help us to understand where exactly you want to enable dedupe.

Are you backing up to a disk storage unit on the SAN or are you backing up SAN data volumes to NBU disk or tape storage?

Do you want to to implement NetBackup Media Server Deduplication?
Or deduplication on the Array? 

If you want to implement NBU dedupe, I strongly recommend that you first of all upgrade to NBU 7.7.x as many dedupe changes and enhancements have been included in post-NBU 7.6 versions.

Please go through all the requirements in the NetBackup Deduplication Guide 

This manual also contains guidelines for Client-side and Server-side deduplication.

Tfaraj
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

I am backing up data to a strorage group containg multiple storage units representing the SAN strogare directly attached to the backup server.

The Media and Master servers are on same machine.
What is the difference between NetBackup Media Server Deduplicaiton and Deduplication on the Array (is this considered as Server Side deduplication) ?

What are the major changes with NBU 7.7.x comparing with NBU 7.5 ?
I prefer to perfrom the deduplicaion before doing the upgrade.

Thank you

Marianne

So, you have Basic Disk or Advanced Disk Storage units?

MSDP is a licensed option where NetBackup does the deduplication. The dedupe binaries is included in NBU and the media server does the dedupe. 
With this option, you can choose to enable Client-side dedupe that will interact with MSDP media server to only send unique data.

I doubt very much that array-level dedupe is supported with any kind of NBU disk storage. Same goes for OS-level (NTFS) compression.

Herewith version comparision matrix: https://www.veritas.com/content/dam/Veritas/docs/data-sheets/21349381_GA_ENT_DS-Top-reasons-to-upgra... 

Changes to NBU dedupe engine (MSDP) can be found in Release Notes and Upgrade Guide for NBU 7.6 and 7.7.x.
Links to these docs can be found in 'Handy NBU Links' in my signature.

Tfaraj
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Sorry for my late reply.

We are using Basic Disk Storage Units, (One LUN attached to the server and other local drives)

I just need to understand where should I configure the Deduplication ?

Only on client-side or in my case we can configure it to the dedupliction on the SAN side ? The SAN is not symanted appliance (it is another Vendor storage)

I appreciate if you can give high level steps to follow in order to enable the deduplication .

1st I want to enable it on 7.5 to see the diffrence on storage, then I will do the upgrade

Regards,

Tarek

Marianne

As per my post of 4 May:

Please go through all the requirements in the NetBackup Deduplication Guide 

You need license and dedicated storage. Any empty SAN lun can be used.

All requirements and steps in above manual.

Tfaraj
Level 4

Okay many thanks

Tfaraj
Level 4

Quick question please:

In my case shall I enable the client and server side deduplication types ?

If I currently have 10TB of backed up data, what will be the size of the dedicated LUN should I reserve for the NetBackup media server deduplication ?

Which dedup type will be more efficient and which one to choose ?

Can I configure both ?

Regards,

Tarek

Marianne

In my case shall I enable the client and server side deduplication types ?

100% your choice.

If I currently have 10TB of backed up data, what will be the size of the dedicated LUN should I reserve for the NetBackup media server deduplication ?

Here is a quick dedupe calculator: http://eval.symantec.com/flashdemos/products/netbackup/dedupe_calc2/ 

For more accurate resuls that will take different data types into consideration, speak to your local Veritas reseller.

Which dedup type will be more efficient and which one to choose    

The manual tells you how each one works and benefits.
To see what works best for you, first use the default (Media server), then enable Client dedupe.
Record results (time taken, dedupe rates, etc) of each attempt.

Can I configure both ?

Yes. Media server is always doing dedupe. Client side dedupe will get the client to send only changed data.

Tfaraj
Level 4

Thanks a lot.

Sorry I have some more questions:

I currently have 10TB of protected data and the server is in production, When I configure the server deduplication do I need to create another 10 LUN for the Pool in storage path ? or I can choose the same 10TB drive and another one for the Metadata database. 

I am getting a bit confused. 

My purpose was to enable dedup and reduce the size of backed data on disk to less than 10 TB

Marianne

You cannot convert Basic Disk to dedupe. You will need to duplicate everything to tape (or other storage), expire all backups on the disk, double-check that the disk is clean, then configure dedupe, provided that the server and storage match requirements and you have dedupe license.

Tfaraj
Level 4

Thank you again Marianne I really appreciate your prompt reply.

usually, Basic Disk are configured under NetBackup Management > Storage  right?

Currently I dont have any configured advanced disk under Media and Device Management > Credential > Storgage Servers.

Then if I want to configure the Client-Side dedupe, do I also need to congfirue storage pool??

If client-side can do the job without expiring old backups then I will for it. Please advise

Marianne
All the steps to configure MSDP are listed in the manual. PLEASE READ IT!

Tfaraj
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

As I mentioned before I currently have a basic disk of 10 TB attached to the media server, my question is: Can I use the same disk as Storage path where the deduplicated images will reside (and later will be configured as purediskvolume)?

I dont not have enough space to create a new LUN and dedicated it for the deduplication?

What would you suggest ?

Thanks

Marianne
No. You cannot use the same lun for Basic disk and MSDP. As per my post of 19 May: You cannot convert Basic Disk to dedupe. You will need to duplicate everything to tape (or other storage), expire all backups on the disk, double-check that the disk is clean, then configure dedupe, provided that the server and storage match requirements and you have dedupe license.