cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable Unrestricted Media Sharing

danguss
Level 4

Hi guys, ask me a question please?

If I want to do a DR with many clients that are stored on multiplexed tapes and in a scenario where I have more than one media server, can enabling "Enable Unrestricted Media Sharing" help me to have better recovery time and avoid crashes?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

HI @danguss 

I don't think so, the use of this setting is to allow multiple media servers to write to one tape. The default behaviour is once a tape has been assigned to a media server it "owns" that tape and no other media servers can write to it. If you have server groups this is a second way to share media between those members of the group. 

None of this though will help you in a DR situation where more than likely the media server that wrote the backup is now unavailable - you will need to look at alternate restore hosts etc. You will also only be able to perform one restore from one tape media at at time (I'm reasonably sure you can't perform parallel restores from one tape media). 

If recovery time is your objective, then my suggestion would be to write the backups to a disk based storage uint (e.g. MSDP), or if this is not an option stop (or reduce) the multiplexing of your backups to tape. Multiplexing certainly helps improve the write speed, but has a detremental affect when restoring.

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

HI @danguss 

I don't think so, the use of this setting is to allow multiple media servers to write to one tape. The default behaviour is once a tape has been assigned to a media server it "owns" that tape and no other media servers can write to it. If you have server groups this is a second way to share media between those members of the group. 

None of this though will help you in a DR situation where more than likely the media server that wrote the backup is now unavailable - you will need to look at alternate restore hosts etc. You will also only be able to perform one restore from one tape media at at time (I'm reasonably sure you can't perform parallel restores from one tape media). 

If recovery time is your objective, then my suggestion would be to write the backups to a disk based storage uint (e.g. MSDP), or if this is not an option stop (or reduce) the multiplexing of your backups to tape. Multiplexing certainly helps improve the write speed, but has a detremental affect when restoring.

Cheers
David