cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encryption Question

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

We have a requirement by our auditors to encrypt some of our db backups 100 percent of the time.

Currently the db's reside on encrypted hdd's and I encrypt the Netbackup 8.0 backups.  This is working fine.

But - a question has come up - what about the transfer from the hdd to the tape - Can anyone tell me: During an encrypted backup as the data is transferred from the hdd through the network to the media server and library/tape - is the data encrypted?

Again - I understand the tapes are encrypted. I just want to be able to tell the auditor that at no point can an intruder intercept and read the pii data we're asked to protect/encrypt.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi,

If you’re running version 8.1 or later your comms are encrypted with TLS. Data in flight is therefor secure.

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi,

If you’re running version 8.1 or later your comms are encrypted with TLS. Data in flight is therefor secure.

Thanks

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You typical encrypt data to prevent data disclouse to 3rd party - in order to maintain "data confidentiality".

In that regards is makes sense to encrypt data at rest - disk and tapes. 

Technical speaking data on a network is not at rest and therefor encrypting doesn't directly apply. That said Veritas is adding encryption to the communication between client and host 

Pls see:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/127786665-127786823-1

Best Regards

Nicolai