cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encryption in Netbackup and dedupe ratio

Brits
Level 6

hi Team, 

If I enable encryption option within policy, does it impact the de-dupe ratio of the data which gets backed up on MSDP pool? if yes , which encryption I should choose to aviod de-dupe ratio impact?

Regards

Brits

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Yes it does impact it severly. See the note, you can configure MSDP encryption.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO89126

This would provide encryption at rest though, the data would be unencrypted when it goes over the wire.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Yes it does impact it severly. See the note, you can configure MSDP encryption.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO89126

This would provide encryption at rest though, the data would be unencrypted when it goes over the wire.

Brits
Level 6

thank you very much for the link, this is really useful.

so I can enable encryption on media server to encrypt the backup data on MSDP pool..right ?

does it requie license ?

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Yes you can ebable it on the MSDP pool. It does not require a license.

Brits
Level 6

thanks a lot for help.

RiaanBadenhorst

Pleasure

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I have it on good authority that if encryption at rest is enabled in MSDP, then this results in what appears to MSDP to be new versions of de-duped segments - and so, if your pool is low on space - then you could very quickly run out of space.

Extrapolating this, says to me, that if your backup schedules are well established AND your used space is over 49% (assuming you still have the default HWM of 98%) then you run the very real risk of the MSDP filling up and going off-line - before the MSDP pool has had a chance to expire/remove dereferenced segments.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi SDO,

So basically all content would consider new, and won't dedupe? Have you seen this happen, any notes?

sdo

Well, my understanding is that, post enablement of encryption at rest - then de-dupe carries on as before - it's just that immediately after enabling encryption at rest (and restarting PureDisk) then any segments which may have previously been eligible for dedupe will not no longer match because they are now encrypted.  However, subsequent encrypted segments which do match will de-dupe.  I guess it's bit like having your MSDP pool fill up from new again.

Not actually seen it.  No notes.  Was warned about it verbally from a Symantec person, who also recommended (obvious now) that when considering enabling encryption at rest, that it should be done/actioned/implemented before using the MSDP pool in earnest.

RiaanBadenhorst

Makes sense if you think about it. Thanks

sdo

And thinking further - this means that MSDP is going to experience increased workload (de-referencing) and increased IO (dereferencing and removing) - until all of the old unencrypted dereferenced segments have been removed... so an MSDP pool may appear to run slower - but any 'apparent' slowness cannot be solely attributed to the CPU impact of having enabled encryption - until all of the the old unencrypted segments have been expunged.  Only after this will any 'CPU' overhead of encryption become slightly clearer.

I have also been told that the CPU and RAM impact of enabling MSDP encryption at rest within a NetBackup Appliance is fairly low - because the CPUs encrypt in hardware - and because the segments and fingerprints are in RAM when encryption occurs.  As for the impact on other 'roll your own' installations of MSDP, no-one can comment, unless you check the server specs in detail.

Brits
Level 6

hi SDO,

So you mean we should implement MSDP encryption before creating MSDP pool & then there will not be any impact on de-dupe ratio ,  no overburned on media server and no backup slowness issue ?

I have physical media server which has 2 octa core CPU , 2.6 GHZ , 256 GB RAM.

sdo

1) So you mean we should implement MSDP encryption before creating MSDP pool & then there will not be any impact on de-dupe ratio

Yes, but it's not so much about before "creating" the MSDP pool, it's more about before "using" the MSDP pool.

But remember, if you do enable encryption at rest AFTER the MSDP pool has ingested backup data, then after the last of the unencrypted segments have been expunged, then there shouldn't be any difference with de-dupe ratios.

2) no overburned on media server

I do not understand "overburned".  Please explain?

3) and no backup slowness issue ?

Apologies, I did not mean to imply that it "would" definitely go slower, just that it "might" or "might not" go slower for a while or forever.  In truth, I don't know.  If your server and environment and configuration are all top notch - then you may never notice any CPU or performance impact from enabling MSDP encryption at rest.

4) I have physical media server which has 2 octa core CPU , 2.6 GHZ , 256 GB RAM.

Sounds like it should be more than capable - but if the disk storage is slow, then MSDP disk IO will be slow.

Brits
Level 6

Thanks a lot for clarity SDO. I will ensure to implment MSDP encryption before creating MSDP Pool.

I have only disk based backup option , So i wanted to be sure tha MSDP does de-dupe at best level.

I wanted to say , will MSDP encryption put any kind of load on media server ?

One last thing -- if in case , encryption creates backup slowness issue and I have to remove it, is it possible to remove encryption?  if yes , then after removing it , encrypted data needs to first purge before unencrypted data gets backed up to get the best de-dupe ratio ?

sdo

Thanks a lot for clarity SDO. I will ensure to implment MSDP encryption before creating MSDP Pool.

• you're welcome.

I have only disk based backup option , So i wanted to be sure tha MSDP does de-dupe at best level.

I wanted to say , will MSDP encryption put any kind of load on media server ?

• ah - overburden !

One last thing -- if in case , encryption creates backup slowness issue and I have to remove it, is it possible to remove encryption?  if yes , then after removing it , encrypted data needs to first purge before unencrypted data gets backed up to get the best de-dupe ratio ?

• yes, you can disable, and yes I would have thought that this will result in a similar situation, i.e. the unencrypted segments will no longer match to, and therefore not de-dupe agianst, the previously encrypted segments.

Brits
Level 6
Thanks a lot sdo....ur inputs are really helpful

sdo

FYI - There is some good useful info re encryption, in this recently published doc:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/nbu-76-blueprint-security-feb-2015