cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encryption on UNIX machine

ankushkalra
Level 5

Hi,

We have veritas server 6.5.6 on windows server 2k8 enterprise.We take backups of both UNIX and windows boxes.

Backup is working fine.We have enabled encyption and set passphase for windows boxes.

The windows boxes backups are working fine with encryption.

Recently there is a requirement for enabling encryption in backup of UNIX servers.

I am doing below steps(same as i do it incase of windows machine) but getting error.

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpkeyutil.exe -clients abc
Enter new NetBackup pass phrase: ********
Re-enter new NetBackup pass phrase: ********
.\bpkeyutil.c.374: main: Function call RemoteCopy(indelgg4spmc3) failed. Errno = 0

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpinst.exe -ENCRYPTION abc
Client abc NetBackup version 6.0 is not compatible with Encryption version 6.5.

Please suggest if encryption is possible with my veritas server 6.5.6??

Please note that operating system of abc is RHEL 6.4 64 bit.

ABC server backup is working fine without encryption.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You cannot. The message is clear: "Client abc NetBackup version 6.0 is not compatible with Encryption version 6.5." Client needs to be on the same version as the master.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Looks like UNIX client is running NBU 6.0 and not NBU 6.5. Upgrade the UNIX client to 6.5.6 where RH 6 is supported.

Client abc NetBackup version 6.0 is not compatible with Encryption version 6.5.

NBU 6.5 is out of support - time to upgrade.

Marianne
Level 6

This user seems to love playing 'Russian Roulette' and has been ignoring every single post in which he was told to upgrade NBU as a matter of urgency.

ankushkalra
Level 5

Thanks for the reply.I have told my management multiple times regarding upgrade of veritas but they are not listening.

ankushkalra
Level 5

Please confurm In my existng setup(client NBU 6  server NBU 6.5.6) can i enable encrytion or not??

Marianne
Level 6
You cannot. The message is clear: "Client abc NetBackup version 6.0 is not compatible with Encryption version 6.5." Client needs to be on the same version as the master.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

As I wrote in my first post : Upgrade the UNIX client to 6.5.6 where RH 6 is supported.

Since master server is running 6.5.6 you should have the UNIX binaries for NBU 6.5.6 available as well.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

To be precise, you can't install 6.5 Encryption on a 6.0 client.  If you had 6.0 media, you could probably install 6.0 Encryption on that client from that media and THEN you might be able to enable encryption after it had been installed, but this is all theoretical discussion as far as I'm concerned as none of us have 6.0 media for you.

The advice to upgrade the client to 6.5.x. is much better advice.

The advice to upgrade EVERYTHING to 7.x, the currently supported version, is even BETTER advice!

Good luck!

ankushkalra
Level 5

Thanks everyone for the responce..Much appreciated!!!