Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enquiry if NBU Standard Client can be applied to VMware environment

johnfan
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi,

We have 2 esx hosts and need to purchase the appropriate NBU licenses. Our vm are based on windows/redhat linux. Can 2 x NBU standard client address my current environment or do I need to get NBU enterprise client instead.

Here's a table which I've abstracted from the licensing guide.

LICENSE NEED DETAILS
Enterprise Client or Standard Client Required

One Enterprise Client license for each physical host when one or more resident VMs are protected by any of:
- NetBackup for VMware
- NetBackup for Hyper-V
- NetBackup Enterprise Client in the VM
Refer to the Enterprise Client licensing section for more information.

Otherwise, one Standard Client license for each physical host when one or more resident VMs are protected in any way by NetBackup.
Refer to the Standard Client licensing section for more information.

4 REPLIES 4

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Actually NBU licensing is depend on how the way you are backing up ur VM.

Standard Client -- you need to install NBU client on each guest VM and configure backup as normal way.

Enterprise Client -- you can configure all VM backups by using snapshot method i.e. ( vStorage API ) so for 2 ESX host you need  2 Enterprise Client license to configure vstorage API. 

vstorage api feature is depend on what Netbackup version ....plz let us know.

but do remember vstorage is not supported for raw device mapping & application level backup which is installed with in guest VM.

Regds 

Yogesh

johnfan
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi Yogesh9881,

Thanks for the information.

Am i right to say if I were to purchase Standard Client, I would need to cound the number of VMs I plan to backup. There isn't as such that the Standard Client license by ESXi host right?

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Standard Client --- No limitation for netbackup ent.server

Enterprise Client --- for Vmware vStorage API, licensing  will count per ESX host.

Lcadloff
Level 2
Employee
NetBackup is licensed per physical machine, not per VM. You need only one client license per ESX server regardless of how many VMs are running on it. As Yogesh9881 pointed out, you may need either a standard client license or an Enterprise client license depending on how you plan to perform you backups.