cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise vault not exiting backup mode with Client Version 7.5.0.6

WaterMark
Level 3

Hi All,

I recently upgraded the netbackup client version on our Enterprise vault server to 7.5.0.6. I have noticed that the vaults & Indexes have not been exiting backup mode following the successful completion of the backups. Having a brief look around the Internet, I see it is a bit of a known issue. Has anyone found a workaround for this, or am I better off taking this version off & re-installing an earlier one?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

17 REPLIES 17

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It does not appear on the Late Breaking news as yet

If it is causing issues I would roll back to an earlier version but if possible log a call with Support first as often they have EEB's available before it appears on the web site which may fix your issue

If they do not then again it just makes sure it is in their queue to get an EEB on the way

You ay still need to roll back anyway but it will help everyone if you make that call

Do remember to subscribe to the Late Breaking News so that when a fix comes along you get to hear about it:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178334

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

may be try re-installing same version itself from scratch.. had issue of during upgrade agent didn't registered few of dlls however during restores it started giving alot pain... had to remove it all ref from system and to reinstall

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What version of EV are you running? Also in the EV logging, does it give any further indication of whats going on? I did a quick look though our active etracks and didn't see any clear bug for this as of yet.

As Mark suggested, you might want to open a support case with Enterprise Vault. They will be able to see why EV vaults are not exiting backup mode and if this is a possible bug we can produce a EEB for.

WaterMark
Level 3

OK, I completely removed NB from the EV server, rebooted it, & re-installed 7.5 client, & the 7.5.0.5 update. I kicked off a manual backup, but the vault stores & indexes no longer appear to go into backup mode now. I did read somewhere that the backups are taken from snapshots in the later versions & the vaults / indexes are only in this mode for a brief amount of time while the snapshots are taken.

Am I talking nonsense, or have I missed something?

Cheers

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

This does appear to be the case - the snapshot will process and then release backup mode and backup the snapshot

You can verify if it is the case by looking at the Enterprise vault event logs where you should see if go into and out of backup mode

WaterMark
Level 3

Thanks Mark, but I am now a bit worried. The manual backup I kicked off is still running, but I cant find any log about backup mode in the logs around the time it started. I can however, find previous entries, so it looks like something is not right. Did I have to re-install an EV agent or something when I re-installed the client? If so, where is the download for it

Thanks again.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

No - all agents are part of the standard NetBackup Client - nothing extra to do apart from the configurations

After you re-installed did you set the Enterprise Vault user name and password in the client host properties after you re-installed?

Will_Restore
Level 6

We are running EV 10.0.2 with Netbackup 7.5.0.6 for a short time (just upgraded last week) and no trouble setting and clearing backupmode.

WaterMark
Level 3

Hi Mark,

No, I used the netbackup account login during the client installation as it has domain admin rights. Do I need to change this, & if so on the master server or on the client?

Thanks again

WaterMark
Level 3

Update:

I added the Enterprise vault credentials on the EVAULT server host properties. I left the consistency check as 'none'. I done this on the Netbackup master server. Last nights backup ran & completed, but again there are no entries for backup mode around the backup time. Also, there a loads of pending mail items this morning which points to EV not being aware of a backup running. I have clearly missesd something, so any assistance would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I think we may need to see your policy(ies) to check what you are backing up

bppllist evpolicyname -U

WaterMark
Level 3

Hi Mark,

I have uploaded it. I am sure the policy type was set to MS windows before it all went Pete Tong!

Cheers again

Will_Restore
Level 6

that is not an EV policy so it is not going to set and clear backupmode

Policy Type:         MS-Windows
Include:  ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Good job i asked for the policy output - you need to change it to an Enterprise Vault policy and set the directives

Will_Restore
Level 6

Configuring EV backup configuration is a bit more difficult than changing just two fields.  This technote is a good starting point: Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176623

in part, four NetBackup policies...

a. Create an Enterprise Vault Policy that has the EV_OPEN_PARTITION and EV_FINGERPRINT_DB as it's Directives. Within this Policy, create 2 Schedules, 1 Full backup and 1 Differential Incremental Backup.

b. Create an Enterprise Vault Policy that has the EV_DIR_DB, the EV_MONITORING_DB, (if configured) the EV_AUDIT_DB and (if configured) the EV_FSAREPORTING_DB as it's Directives. Within this Policy, create 2 Schedules, 1 Full Backup and 1 Differential Incremental Backup.

c. Create an Enterprise Vault Policy that has the EV_INDEX_LOCATION as it's Directive. Within this Policy, create 2 Schedules, 1 Full backup and 1 Differential Incremental Backup.

d. Create an Enterprise Vault Policy that has the EV_CLOSED_PARTITIONS and EV_READY_PARTITIONS as it's Directives. Within this Policy, create 2 Schedules, 1 Full backup and 1 Differential Incremental Backup.

please be sure to read through and understand the entire technote; took me a few tries to get it right.

WaterMark
Level 3

Cheers guys, I have set the policies as WR as stated, but the initial full backup on the databases was taking an age! The bad news is, the old flat file backup kicked in at 10pm last night, & I think it killed the proper one! (Damn & Blast!) My only other question for now is that the SQL database for EV is on a seperate server, so can I omit the fingerDB parts of the backup policies?

Cheers for your patience guys

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You really need to go through the EV Guide for NetBackup to get it all setup correctly

If your SQL Server has NBU installed and setup then you can include it in the policy

You can also do the flat file type of backup if you wish as long as you do only one stream and use bpstart/bpend_notify scripts to put the server in and out of backup mode