cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion: Post NB 7.0.1 upgrade

wellssh
Level 4

I just upgraded our NBU 7.0 server to 7.0.1.  Before rebooting, the NBU Admin Console showed v7.0.1.  After rebooting the server, I cannot start the NB Database Manager service.  The System log claims there a dependency on the NetBackup INET Daemon, which was there prior to the upgrade, but now is gone.  Also,the Dependencies tab on the NB DB Manager service does not list the NB INET Daemon as a dependency.

The admin, bpdbm and bprd log folders are present, but there are no files within them.

Ideas, thoughts?

Thanks, Sven

6 REPLIES 6

AlanTLR
Level 5

Sven,

What operating system are you running this on?  Can you post the message you get from the System log?  If there are no files within those log directories, then those daemons are most likely not getting started at all.

--Alan

wellssh
Level 4

I've attached a word doc with a screenshot.

wellssh
Level 4

So I uninstalled NBU from my system.  Then I installed NBU 7.0  (W2K3 x64 Ent.).  I took a look at all the NetBackup Services listed in the services dialog.  When I check the properties of the "NetBackup Client Service", the service name is actually NetBackup INET Daemon; and the executable is bpinetd.exe.  The NB Database Manager service is up and running, everything looks fine.

I then proceed with the NB 7.0.1 upgrade.  The installation fails towards the end, stating "The NetBackup Update install was interrupted beforfe it could be completed", even though nothing occurred on the system itself as I was watching.  I reboot the server and now the "NetBackup Client Service" has a Service Name of NetBacku Client Service and the Executable is called bpcd.exe.  The NetBackup Database Manager service is not stopped and will not start because it seems to be "looking" for the NB INET Daemon.

Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks, Sven

wellssh
Level 4

So after the faulty/failed upgrade to 7.0.1, I rebooted the server again (I did not uninstall or roll back the failed 7.0.1 update), then ran the update again.  This time it states: " Installation Complete, thank you for using NetBackup Update".

However, the same issues occurs:  post 7.0.1 update, the NB Database Manager service won't start because it can't find the NB INET Daemon.

Any ideas...thoughts, assistance?

Thanks,

Sven

watsons
Level 6

It maybe helpful to find out why the upgrade (to 7.0.1) failed in the first place... check the installation log, usually in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp\Netbackup install*.log

The partially installation might have left the service unusable. Check if this is related: 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH150381

And.. just to be sure, you did use the 7.0.1 x64 package didn't you?  Not the x86 one.

AlanTLR
Level 5

Sven,

Does the inetd.exe command exist on your server after the reinstall?

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>dir bpinetd.exe
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 169D-DE5A

Directory of C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin

02/03/2011  04:51 PM           174,744 bpinetd.exe
               1 File(s)        174,744 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  29,307,105,280 bytes free

If it is there, you can try running it manually, but you'll still have the service dependency issue.  It's possible that this dependency was removed between 7.0 and 7.0.1.  It's definitely not there in 7.1, which is controlled by "NetBackup Legacy Client Service".  I would verify if it's there to start the bpinetd (or just search the registry for bpinetd), then remove the dependency in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBackup Database Manager