cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 156 snapshot error encountered

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi All,

One of my windows 2003 R2 backups failing with status code 156, Can help to resolve this as i have tried changing the VERITAS SNAPSHOT method to local MICROSOFT SNAPSHOT method but still was not able to resolve it :(

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

If any of the writers are waiting for completation or in a failed state, you will need to reboot the server.

In addition, the bpfis on the client will give you additional information.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

bpdown
Level 4

I thought Veritas Snapshot was only for Windows 2000 servers... Did you change it in the client attributes on the master server host properties?

Run "vssadmin list writers" on your server to see if there are any errors... might need to re-install VSS.

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Yeah have tried to change the option from Client attributes but was not able to resolve the error , let me cross check that again.

S_Williamson
Level 6

This error usually relates to the amount of VSS Snapshot space available on a particular drive

Do you have it configured for one global snapshot or one snap shot per drive?

Do you have limits set on the amount of snapshot space on the Windows Server? (Under Shadow Copy Settings on the disk drive settings)

If you do have limits, is there enough free disk apace available?

If there is limits, you might have set it too small so try add more space.

You need a minimum of 300mb but I normally set 1500mb as the smallest

On a larger data drive i set 5000mb

If you set 5000mb make sure there is that much free space available

regards

Simon

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

bpdown is giving good advice - check output of "vssadmin list writers" on the client.

Run these commands as well: "vssadmin list providers" and “vssadmin list shadows”.

Also verify that client has latest VSS hotfix installed. 

I believe this is one of the newest VSS hotfixes : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349

You may want to check MS support site to see if there is anything newer.

For further troubleshooting, ensure that bpfis log folder exists on the client. 

Check Event Viewer logs as well for errors.

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi All,

Let me check the above points as changing the SnapShot MICROSOFT didn't worked much.

Thanks,
Nayab

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

If any of the writers are waiting for completation or in a failed state, you will need to reboot the server.

In addition, the bpfis on the client will give you additional information.

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

The issue resolved after rebooting the server Thanks all :)