Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 165 - Evaluation Period Expired

Ira_Brock
Level 5
Netbackup 6.54
1 Master 2 Media server configuration

Currently, the master and one media server is operating as normal. The other media server will not start its netbackup services. Instead we get the below error.

This occurred when our eval license expired due to Symantec taking 90+ days to renew our licenses. We removed the expired license and replaced it with another eval license given to us by Symantec. We are still waiting for them to resolve the license issue so we can get our full license. In the end, we are still showing that all our licenses have now not expired BUT we are still receiving this message when trying to "bpup" this particular media server.

Any ideas on why we still get this error even after updating our licenses? I knew why we got it when the old one did expire, but the new one is definitely showing that it has not expired. Is there something else I need to clear out so it forgets completely about the old licenses? 

Thanks!

Log Name:      Application
Source:        NetBackup Volume Manager
Date:          12/3/2009 8:57:46 AM
Event ID:      2050
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Backup3.vhda.net
Description:
terminating - Evaluation period expired.  Go to www.symantec.com to order this product. (165)
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="NetBackup Volume Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">2050</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-12-03T13:57:46.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>16922</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Backup3.vhda.net</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Evaluation period expired.  Go to www.symantec.com to order this product.</Data>
    <Data>165</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ira_Brock
Level 5
 For some reason my keys were not being replicated across the media servers.

I had to go to file and log on to another server via nbu admin console. Once on the server in questions admin console, I then had to add the keys individualy to them.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had a similar situation with a master server evaluation. I got another 60 day extended license. But I ended up having to remove the installation and start from scratch. After trying to shoehorn in the new license. However, the evaluation is just that, I believe. You need to start from scratch. Any media assigned you might have to reassign somehow. I think there is a technote that details how to do it when the server is no longer there. Or in your case can start its services.

There are some VMD5_DIGEST checksum values that might have something to do with it. I think they are generated when you add new license keys.
Certainly, NetBackup/var/license.txt holds long strings and this value. Do you have any long strings in here? What if you backup this file and remove any long strings. And try restart services? Im thinking it might fail.....

Ira_Brock
Level 5
 Stuart,

Awesome man.. Good find with that license.txt file. Your right, removing certain info from it doesnt help, BUT I did replace it with the license.txt from the working master server and the services started right up. Hopefully it is this easy.... Let me run some tests and if all looks good I will mark you as my solution.

Thanks,
ira

Ira_Brock
Level 5
 For some reason my keys were not being replicated across the media servers.

I had to go to file and log on to another server via nbu admin console. Once on the server in questions admin console, I then had to add the keys individualy to them.

ashudhoundiyal
Level 3
To enter new license keys goto bin folder of netbackup install directory. From here run NBLicenseApp.EXE. This will open license utility from where you can remove old expired license and add new license keys.