cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 177 when running bpexpdate -deassignempty

Claes_Sandahl_2
Level 2
Hi.

My expired media isn't getting recycled.
I'm running NBU 6.0 on Solaris. I have the latest patch installed (MP2)
I'm running the command bpexpdate -deassignempty with the result:
"Could not deassign media-id FLW012, host nbumaster: could not deassign media due to Media Manager error (177)"

Does anyone else have the same problem?
Regards,
Claes Sandahl
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
Media Manager Status Code: 177

Message: request can only be performed on the Enterprise Media Manager Server

Explanation: The host this request was performed on has been blocked from being a database host. This was done by an administrator to restrict which hosts are allowed to be EMM servers.

Recommended Action:

1. Verify that you have specified the correct EMM server. This is the -h option on the command line. If you did not specify the database host, the command line defaults to the local host, while the console will use the host you are currently administering.

2. Contact the administrator in charge of this configuration and verify that the host was intentionally blocked from being a database host. If not, remove the NOT_DATABASE_HOST flag in the host�s vm.conffile. To do so without having to stop and restart the daemons, use: vmquery -h -remove_not_db_host. To add this entry to a host without having to stop and restart the daemons, use: vmquery -h -add_not_db_host.

Claes_Sandahl_2
Level 2
I have already checked that.
My Netbackup mster is the only server (no other media servers) and I'm running the command on the master server as root.

It seems that the db holds the media in a "used" state or something?
I have tried to remove the media from the db but that is not possible. The media is not available.

/Claes Sandahl

Claes_Sandahl_2
Level 2
Thanks Bob.

But I have already check the recommended action from the troubleshooting guide.
It seems like the database has locked the tape in a "used" state.

I just noticed that every tape that expires remains in a expired state instead of beeing changed to a available state.

I cannot even delete/remove the tape(s) as the tapes are not available.

Has anyone any clue what to do?

Claes_Sandahl_2
Level 2
I just found a resolution to this error. The media was allocated by EMM. Here is how to release the media from EMM.

Run the following command. Redirect it to a text file.
(cd \NetBackup\bin\admincmd)
nbrbutil -dump
Within this "dump" output, look for the following section:

MDS allocations in EMM:
MdsAllocation allocationKey=29 jobType=1 mediaKey=4000001 mediaId=AZZ001 driveKey=2000001
driveName=Single_DDS drivePath={3,0,6,0} stuName=Magg masterServerName=1time
mediaServerName=1time ndmpTapeServerName=

Within this section, find the media id. In this case, AZZ001 is the media id that is in use. Note the allocationKey for the media id in question.
Then, run the following command, noting the MDS allocation key of the media. In this case, it would be "29"

nbrbutil -releaseMDS

In my NBU environment I had several media allocated by EMM and no activity in Netbackup. After releasing all the media from EMM the expired media changed to "available media"

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
Is this command for 6.0 and above? I have NB 5.1MP4 and I can't seem to find that command.

I'm in the same situation where I'm on our one and only master server/media server logged in as root trying to run bpexdpate using the '-h' option and its giving me the 177 error.

I've followed the standard troubleshooting suggestion(s) above with no luck.