cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 2820 restoring vmware virtual server with USB attached device

VAM
Level 3

Hi,

I got 2820 error when trying to restore the VM image backup of virtual server with physically attached USB device (special token card).

Part of restore log with error is

................. skipped ....

13.08.2015 15:26:24 - end reading; read time: 0:00:00
13.08.2015 15:26:25 - Info bptm(pid=3464) completed reading backup image        
13.08.2015 15:26:25 - Info bptm(pid=3464) EXITING with status 0 <----------       
13.08.2015 15:26:42 - Info bpVMutil(pid=5492) INF - vmwareLogger: WaitForTaskComplete: The device '4' is referring to a nonexisting controller '7,000'. <33>
13.08.2015 15:26:42 - Info bpVMutil(pid=5492) INF - vmwareLogger: WaitForTaskComplete: SYM_VMC_ERROR:  TASK_REACHED_ERROR_STATE     
13.08.2015 15:26:42 - Info bpVMutil(pid=5492) INF - vmwareLogger: CreateVm: SYM_VMC_ERROR:  TASK_REACHED_ERROR_STATE     
13.08.2015 15:26:42 - Info bpVMutil(pid=5492) INF - vmwareLogger: CreateVirtualMachineExAPI: SYM_VMC_ERROR:  TASK_REACHED_ERROR_STATE     
13.08.2015 15:26:47 - end Restore; elapsed time: 0:03:35
VMware policy restore error (2820)

Another virtual machines without USB connected devices are restored without errors.

I try restore with different options but with the same result. So options  "keep hardware version", "remove backing information for devices like cd/dvd ...", "remove network inf.." and restoring to another datastore and esx were probed without success. 

We work in NBU 7.6.1.1 and vmware vSphere 5.5 environment

Please help to solve this problem.

Regards, Vlad.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes you would have this issue if the usb was attached and bpvmutil cannot find it attached to the target machine.  I will private message you some information from an internal technote.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

There was a similar case to this a week or so ago. I don't think it was resolved. Id' suggest opening a support case.

VAM
Level 3

Thank for reply.  

Yet there is no solution is it possible get only flat .vmdk file from backup image?

RiaanBadenhorst

VMware restore type (vmdk) is actually where the complication would be coming from. If you just restored a file to the guest it would OK, as it wont interact with vCenter.

cufarulcopiilor
Not applicable

I`ve the same problem

VAM
Level 3

Yes, you are right. But restore process was broken on creation of virtual machine. So I thought to substitute existing .vmdk on esx to restored one, because restored machine is in working state, but have an error in its own DCOM part. It would be nice if there was utility like bprestore to extract this part to intermediate place. I'll be grateful for any advice on this topic.

RiaanBadenhorst

Unfortunately you cant restore VM to FS, only backup VM.

VAM
Level 3

Part of hostd.log  from esx where errors begin-
Would you post the same part from your esx log?

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes you would have this issue if the usb was attached and bpvmutil cannot find it attached to the target machine.  I will private message you some information from an internal technote.

VAM
Level 3

Part of hostd.log from esx host where errors begin

2015-08-18T11:11:42.149Z [4CF88B70 info 'Vmsvc.vm:/vmfs/volumes/...skipped...5a/mars-5v1/mars-5v1.vmx' opID=30c63bb5-48-a3 user=vpxuser] GetController: Controller specified not valid: (vim.vm.device.VirtualUSB) {
-->    dynamicType = <unset>,
-->    key = 0,
-->    deviceInfo = (vim.Description) {
-->       dynamicType = <unset>,
-->       label = "USB 1",
-->       summary = "Aktiv Co. Guardant Stealth II",
-->    },
-->    backing = (vim.vm.device.VirtualUSB.USBBackingInfo) {
-->       dynamicType = <unset>,
-->       deviceName = "path:2/0/1 version:2",
-->       useAutoDetect = <unset>,
-->    },
-->    connectable = (vim.vm.device.VirtualDevice.ConnectInfo) null,
-->    slotInfo = (vim.vm.device.VirtualDevice.BusSlotInfo) null,
-->    controllerKey = 7000,
-->    unitNumber = 0,
-->    connected = true,
-->    vendor = 2697,
-->    product = 3,
-->    family = (string) [
-->       "vendor_specific"
-->    ],
-->    speed = (string) [
-->       "full"
-->    ],
--> }

And would you post the same part?

wooinau
Level 3
Partner

I have the exact same issue.  I can lodge a case, but is it possible to reveal the solution here? :)