cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 48 No Host name found

rkennedy93291
Level 2

We have are running Netbackup 7.5.0.5 on SUSE Linux 11 server. I added a policy for a Windows Server 2012 R2 running client version 7.5.0.6. We are getting an error when trying to backup Error 48 No hostname found.

I can ping from the Linux server to the Windows server and vice versa

The client section in Netbackup sees the client and gives all of the particulars when selecting it. 

Need some help here...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Both Unix and Windows hosts need to be on DNS if you want to use DNS names. Hosts files: Get Unix sysadmin to edit /etc/hosts using vi or other text editor. You will need to add hosts entry for NBU server on Windows client as well. Ensure forward and reverse name lookup between master and client works at OS level, then refresh NBU host cache. PS : Please copy text in Job details next time, rather than taking screenshot.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Please use hostnames in NBU, not IP addresses. Add entries in DNS or in hosts files on server and client. Clear NBU host cache on server and client after adding hosts entries : bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache Ensure the same hostname for NBU server is added as Server in Client's Registry entry (or in BAR GUI on the client under Files -> Specify Hostnames and Policy types).

rkennedy93291
Level 2

When I change to the DNS name the client fails. I am not a linux person so where do I edit the host files on the linux server. Also I need to add the host server on the Windows Client machine?

Marianne
Both Unix and Windows hosts need to be on DNS if you want to use DNS names. Hosts files: Get Unix sysadmin to edit /etc/hosts using vi or other text editor. You will need to add hosts entry for NBU server on Windows client as well. Ensure forward and reverse name lookup between master and client works at OS level, then refresh NBU host cache. PS : Please copy text in Job details next time, rather than taking screenshot.

rkennedy93291
Level 2

I figured it out. You were correct. I added the DNS and IP to the host file on the Linux server and that fixed it...

Steve_Lussiaud
Level 4

Hello,

i have alread encountered this type of error. In our environnement, we have a script to add client on a policy.

bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache do nothing for us.

The only get around found is to restart netbackup services on master server.

Perhaps it will help.