Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 96: unable to allocate new media

Switcho
Level 4

Hello there,

i see specific policies with the following error:

3/31/2011 3:33:06 AM - requesting resource sr1001bck002-hcart-robot-tld-0
3/31/2011 3:33:06 AM - requesting resource sr1001bck001.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.sr1001aaa001
3/31/2011 3:33:06 AM - requesting resource sr1001bck001.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.AAA_Full_Backup
3/31/2011 3:33:06 AM - awaiting resource sr1001bck002-hcart-robot-tld-0 - No drives are available
3/31/2011 3:33:37 AM - Error nbjm(pid=4124) NBU status: 96, EMM status: No media is available   
unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available(96)

other policies work properly though they all have the same settings!

i replaced the tapes, expired the data, did quick and long erase but they didnt help! i can manually run one job successfully but the other will fail.

kindly check snapshots for two policies, one is working and the other is not:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i replaced the tapes, expired the data, did quick and long erase but they didnt help! i can manually run one job successfully but the other will fail.

By default NBU does not allow backups with different retension levels to use the same media.

Is your first job (successful one) using all the media available?

If so, you may need to activate the option to allow multiple retensions per media option. (Media server properties --> Media).

Regards...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

By default NBU does not allow backups with different retension levels to use the same media.

Is your first job (successful one) using all the media available?

If so, you may need to activate the option to allow multiple retensions per media option. (Media server properties --> Media).

Regards...

chakkrit_o
Level 3

Plase check in Host Properties>media server>Choose me sr1001bck001

1. choose tab Media
  2. check in checkbox in allow media overwrite
  3. Re-start service
  4. re-run again

best regard

chakkrit.osmiley

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Try one thing:

The policy which is not working is the replica/copy of the policy which is working fine. If not then disable the policy which is not working and make a copy of policy which is working fine then try to take the backup as per your desire.

Also see the below TN

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH39299&key=15145&actp=LIST

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You have showed us everything except your schedules.

Remember that NetBackup does not mix retention levels.

Please post output of the 'not working' policy:
bppllist <policy-name> -U

as well as output from 'available media'. Redirect output to a text file and post as attachment if output is bigger than a couple of lines.

Switcho
Level 4

sorry for my late reply,

that was correct, i mixed the retentions for the policies, thanks alot for refering to that.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Great to hear that your problem is resolved ;)

danabanks
Not applicable

Did you verify that your media was not frozen?