cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 96 when there are scratchpool tapes?

jonnyguitar
Level 4

Hi all.  I hope you everyone had a lovely weekend.  They are just too short!

My Monday morning hasn't been the best so far.  My weekend backups stopped at around 80% with error 96 - no available media.  The thing is, I had at least 25 scratchpool tapes in the library ready to use at the time of the error.

Interestingly, the same error happened to jobs running on another tape library at the same time - again this other library had plently of scratchpool tapes at the time of the error.

Any ideas?  Thanks everyone!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Double-check that your scratchpool has the 'Scratch Pool' option selected.
You can use the GUI or from cmd with 'vmpool -list_scratch'.

We have seen in the past that this tick-box somehow got de-selected.

Also verify that the density of media in Scratch pool matches the density of tape drives.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

Scartch pool will provide tapes to other volume pool when their is a tape shortage.

Is the status of tapes in scartchpool are active?

Marianne
Level 6

Double-check that your scratchpool has the 'Scratch Pool' option selected.
You can use the GUI or from cmd with 'vmpool -list_scratch'.

We have seen in the past that this tick-box somehow got de-selected.

Also verify that the density of media in Scratch pool matches the density of tape drives.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

There are quite a few reasons why a '96' could occur & instead of trying to list then here & probably missing a few, you could try & go through the steps in the following "wizard":

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&type=wizard&answerid=&iqaction=&wizardid=NBU090&wizardstepid=1A&question_box=%22Status+Code+96%22&wizardnextstep=&searchid=1353929122329

jonnyguitar
Level 4

this is great advice, thanks everyone

Marianne
Level 6
If your problem has been solved, please remember to select the post that has helped you most and Mark as Solution. This will help other users with similar issues.

jonnyguitar
Level 4

Thanks Marianna.  Will do.  It's so great to see such a working support community on here.  It's great.

sclind
   VIP   

Jonny - also check the GUI to see if any of your media has a "Volume Expiration" listed.  We had a bunch that did, and did not realize that this meant that 'after this date don't use this media'.  (But the media still shows up in the Available Media report so we thought it was available for use).