cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 96 while drive cleaning

Lotfi_BOUCHERIT
Level 5

Hello,

I am trying to clean my tape drive (HP MSL 4048) because, reported as "Cleaning needed" in the Properties dialog box of the drive (the drive is HP.ULTRIUM4-SCSI)

So, I followed Netbackup Technotes explaining how to configure Cleaning tapes :

• Create a Bare code rule : done (BARE_CODE_RULE.JPG)
  • Put the cleaning tape in the None volume pool : done (NONE.JPG)
  • The media type is automatically set to DLT_CLN (DLT_CLEAN.JPG)

But, when i try to run a manual clean, i get error like in the attached file named (DRIVE_CLEAN.JPG, CLEAN_JOB.JPG)

I am asking now, if there's something more that needs to be done regarding my issue

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne2
Level 4

Why DLT_CLN density when the density of your tape drives (HP.ULTRIUM4) is hcart (or hcart2/3) ?

You should update the barcode rule and select densitity for cleaning cart to match density of your tape drives, e.g. 
HC_CLN  -  1/2 inch cleaning tape
HC2_CLN 1/2 inch cleaning tape 2

After updating the barcode rule, delete the cleaning tapes with incorrect density and run inventory again (or use vmchange to assign new density to CLN media-id).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne2
Level 4

Why DLT_CLN density when the density of your tape drives (HP.ULTRIUM4) is hcart (or hcart2/3) ?

You should update the barcode rule and select densitity for cleaning cart to match density of your tape drives, e.g. 
HC_CLN  -  1/2 inch cleaning tape
HC2_CLN 1/2 inch cleaning tape 2

After updating the barcode rule, delete the cleaning tapes with incorrect density and run inventory again (or use vmchange to assign new density to CLN media-id).

Thank you so much Madame for your help.

I know that media density should be HCART but while i didn't find it in the droplist of the creation of the barcode rule, i left it as default DLT_CLN, but when i changed it to 1/2 inch cleaning tape, it is executed normally.

Thank you.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The drive type is hcart.

The cleaning tape type is set to dlt_cln - this is the issue.

The cleaning tape type needs to be set to hcart_cln - delete the tape, and reconfigure the barcode rule to set the tape as hcart_cln (might be 1/2" clean in the drop down list).

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Opps, just realised that the wonder Marianne had answered ...